AboutSt George, in the parish of Arreton, is one of the most remarkable churches on the Island, possibly the successor to an earlier late Saxon 'mother church'. The west wall is essentially late Saxon and the west part of the chancel is also of early origin: Saxon, or at least 11th century. The pre-1100 church occupied the space of the present nave without the aisles, plus part of the chancel. This was large for a Saxon parish church.
Arreton church was closely associated with Quarr Abbey which received the rectorial tithes from about 1150.
The chancel and the south chapel were re-built in the mid to late 13th century in exquisite Early English style. The work may have been due to the influence of Isabella de Fortibus, a young widow who inherited the lordship of Carisbrooke Castle from her brother, Baldwin de Redvers when he died in 1269. She held the lordship of the Isle 1262-93, was patron of Quarr Abbey and said to be the richest woman in England at the time.
The church has a relatively small west tower, with disproportionately large angle-buttresses, and a catslide roof that sweeps down over the nave and aisles. The catslide roof dates from after the Protestant Reformation (possibly 1649).
The chancel was restored in 1863. Ewan Christian carried out a second, more extensive restoration in 1886 when most of the furnishings were renewed.
The south aisle contains the most notable series of 19th century wall monuments on the Island. The memorials are to members of the Worsley Holmes family, with two by the sculptor Sir Richard Westmacott.
Please note that Island churches may occasionally be closed or in use for services. Many are dependent on volunteers to stay open during the day.
**Text & Photo courtesy of Albany Associates - www.albany-ballard.co.uk
Map & Directions
|Opening (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
* Please note that Island churches may occasionally be closed or in use for services. Many are dependent on volunteers to stay open during the day.