|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult Travel Ticket Online Price||£14.50 per ticket|
|Child Travel Ticket Online Price||£7.25 per ticket|
|Family Travel Ticket Online Price||£37.00 per ticket|
|Infant Ticket 0-4 years||Free|
- Return trip on the line. Book online to reserve your exclusive compartment - you'll save money too!
- Entry to all our facilities at Havenstreet station, including our Train Story Discovery Centre
- Free flying display by Haven Falconry (11:40 and 13:40 daily)
- Prices may vary for some special events
- First Class and Admission-only tickets (no train ride) are also available: see our website for details
Inspiring, Surprising and Award-Winning … Equally appealing to adults and families, your visit to The Isle of Wight Steam Railway will charm, engage and captivate, leaving you with some lasting memories of a special day out.
Step back to a bygone era when steam power was the order of the day. Thrill to the sight and sound of powerful majestic steam engines and breathe in the evocative smells of a real steam railway. Soak-up the rhythm of quiet rural stations while enjoying the friendliness of traditionally uniformed staff.
TRAVEL IN STYLE
Settle back in beautifully restored Victorian and Edwardian carriages and discover an idyllic view of the Island’s unspoilt countryside ... or hop off at one of our stations and just watch the trains go by. Keep an eye out for a red squirrel or deer darting away from the train as you pass through ancient woodland.
Our Locomotives and Carriages have all been painstakingly restored to pristine condition and are the hallmark of our delightful railway. Our oldest locomotive was built in 1876 and carriages date back to 1864!
LOTS TO SEE AT HAVENSTREET STATION
The railway is more than just a train ride - most visitors spend at least 3 hours with us; some stay all day.
Explore our Train Story Discovery Centre, our fabulous indoor museum which brings the story of the Island's railways to life. Discover our oldest carriage, built for the opening of the Ryde to Shanklin line in 1864, and the Underground trains that ran on the line until January 2021.
Don't miss the daily falconry displays provided by our friends at Haven Falconry at 11:40 and 13:40 each day. You can also visit our Woodland Walk, children's playground, railway shop and refreshment rooms.
A SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
Make your visit extra special by booking a First-Class Experience. Add a touch of class to your celebrations with exclusive use of a luxurious first-class compartment. With their polished brass handles, gleaming woodwork and immaculate hand-made upholstery, you’ll be transported back to the romantic age of steam.
Waiting for you will be a luxury hamper with sandwiches, cakes and Prosecco to enjoy as you make a complete round trip along the line. Whether you’re planning a romantic treat, or birthday celebration with all the family, a ride in our 1st class carriages befits any special occasion.
The Isle of Wight Steam Railway welcomes groups with generous discounts for pre-booked groups of 10 or more. Groups benefit from reserved carriages, free coach parking and a free ticket for the driver.
Telephone – 01983 882204 www.iwsteamrailway.co.uk
Please click here to view accessibility information.
- Accessible Lift - Available in our Train Story Visitor Centre.
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Disabled Parking
- Disabled persons toilet
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Induction Loop System
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp / Level Access
- Ramp/Level Access - At Havenstreet Station.
- Wheelchair user accessible
- Catering for groups
- Full liquor licence
- On-Site cafe/restaurant - Our Cafe/Restaurant serves a range of hot and cold food and beverages on all running days
- Outdoor eating area
- Picnic area
- Picnic Site
- Refreshments Available
- Take away food
- Undercover picnic area
- Vegetarians catered for
Children & Infants
- Baby changing
- Children's Meals
- Family Friendly, Children Welcome
- Highchair(s) available
- Indoor children’s play area
- Outdoor children’s play area
- 2m distancing in place
- Capacity limit
- Clear signage
- Contactless payment possible
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 refund and cancellation policy in place
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed
- COVID-19 staff training completed
- Deep cleaning between visitors
- Food available during COVID-19 restrictions
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff
- Hygiene screens in place
- Interactive displays closed
- One way system
- Online booking possible
- Outside seating
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Pets welcome during COVID-19 restrictions
- Queuing system
- All weather attraction
- Conference facilities
- Dogs Accepted
- Dogs admitted on a lead
- Dogs welcome
- Event Venue
- Garden / Grounds for visitors use
- Gift shop
- Groups welcome
- Guided tours by arrangement
- Licensed for alcohol
- Marquee Space Available
- Meeting rooms
- Open Christmas
- Open New Year
- Open on bank holidays
- Prior Booking Recommended
- Public Telephone
- Team / Corporate Activities
Parking & Transport
- Coach parking
- Free parking
- Off-road parking
- On Site Car Parking
- On site parking
- On site parking close by
- Own car park (Fee Applies)
- Delta accepted
- Maestro Accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Max group size - 200
- Min group size - 10
- Special group rates
- Visa accepted
- Countryside Setting
- In countryside
- Indoor Attraction
- No Smoking Attraction
- Smoking Some Areas
- Some no smoking areas
- Village Location
- Cyclists welcome
- Educational Groups
- Family Fun
- Information Point
- Marketed Towards Children
- Marketed Towards Families
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Wi-fi available
Map & Directions
Finding The Isle of Wight Steam Railway is easy – Enter PO33 4DS in your SatNav, and head for the village of Havenstreet, three miles from Newport and three miles from Ryde. There’s plenty of free parking for coaches and cars.
We are 10 minutes' drive from the ferry terminal at Fishbourne, 15 minutes from East Cowes or 30-40 minutes from Yarmouth.
Public Transport Directions
From Portsmouth by Wightlink FastCat: The FastCat arrives at Ryde Pier Head station where there's a quick and easy connection to the Island Line trains. From the Pier Head it takes just 9 minutes to travel the three stops to Smallbrook Junction station, where there's a convenient cross-platform interchange with our steam trains.
From Southsea by Hovercraft: Catch the hovercraft for a quick flight across the Solent. Upon arrival cross the footbridge and catch the Island Line train from the adjacent station at Ryde Esplanade. From here its just two stops to Smallbrook Junction station, where there's a convenient cross-platform interchange with our steam trains.
By train from Ryde, Brading, Sandown and Shanklin: Catch the Island Line train direct to Smallbrook Junction station.
By bus from Ryde or Newport: Catch the number 9 bus (via Staplers) which stops right outside Wootton station. See www.islandbuses.info/
- Isle of Wight Steam Railway Video
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good456
- M9285KYdanielhTrip Type:FamilyPerfect day to see santaSunday, 6th December 2020Just want to say what a brilliant day we had. A short queue to get in and we were welcomed by many of the staff. The steam train was great fun and my boy loved it, especially the whistles and all the... Read full review
- E-b-j-2020_16Staffordshire, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyLovely day outSaturday, 12th December 2020We visited here in sep 2020 as part of our annual trip to the IOW and had a fantastic day. Our little boy loved it. We had a carriage to ourself which was brilliant. The staff are so helpful and... Read full review
- wightofwayTrip Type:FamilyOne small issue.Monday, 14th December 2020Brilliant day out on the Santa Special, loved how quiet it was compared to the last few years. Only problem in an otherwise perfect day out was that both our children got the same present from... Read full review
ACCESS TO PUBLIC AREAS (Displays, exhibits, rides etc)
CAFETERIA / RESTAURANT
This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.
- Visit Isle of Wight Award Green Star - Gold - Visit Isle Of Wight - 2019/20 2019
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2021
|Opening - see below (19 Mar 2021 - 1 Jan 2022)|
* Open on selected days throughout the year, and daily in July and August - check website for details and timetables.