Monkey Haven is re-opening on the 16th April 2021 from Friday to Mondays (10am - 5pm) until the 17th May.
Tickets can be be pre-booked on the website.
Swing on by to Monkey Haven – the happiest attraction in town! You’ll meet all kinds of wonderful creatures at this popular animal sanctuary, including the singing Lar Gibbons, cheeky Meerkats, slithering snakes and the cutest owls.
The primate rescue centre, just outside Newport, makes animals happy – and people happy. We’re in TripAdvisor’s Hall of Fame, plus we were the Best Small Attraction in England according to the tourism chiefs at VisitEngland. Check out the Haven’s funky new video (below).
There are keeper talks and animal feeds throughout the day, where you can find out all about our awesome animals and how they came to be here. Many were rescued from tragic situations, and found tied up at airports, or badly neglected by their previous owners. The keepers recently won a top award for their talks - VisitEngland’s Best Told Story accolade for 2018 - so don’t miss them when you’re there!
There’s so much to see and do including…
• Download our FREE awesome App. Follow trails, collect virtual bananas, get sneaky behind the scenes, and take silly selfies! Check it out to plan your visit – or download it at the park where there’s free Wifi.
• Meet new rescued animals, including Djimmy, Buna …and their squeaky toy pig!
• Have a hoot with the owls’ - Meet Ketch, Beau, Wisp and Casper, at the daily owl talks.
• Get up close to a snake at ‘Reptile Rendezvous’ – they’re much softer and more playful than you might expect! New reptile Lodge for 2019!
• FREE booklet of monkey puzzles for kids including a tiny treat trail.
• Two great play areas for children (under 5’s and over 5’s).
• Fun events throughout the year to celebrate animals’ birthdays, holidays and other special occasions (check facebook for updates).
The Haven’s mission is to provide a happy forever home for rescued animals. Recent rescues include the Cherry-crowned Mangabeys, Djimmy and Buna – with their squeaky toy pig, which is causing quite a sensation! You can also meet the fluffy Cotton-Top Tamarins, who were rescued from tiny birdcages and lucky to survive. Plus say hello to Peppino the Capuchin, who bears scars around his neck, from a collar that was too tight. He’s recently fathered the most beautiful baby, so pop along and see the family.
Happy birthday at the Haven
Every animal is special – and their birthdays are celebrated with healthy cake and a singsong (check monkeyhaven.org or Facebook if you’d like to join the party.) This is also a great place to host parties for your little monkeys, so see monkehaven.org for details.
Free, Fun App
Before you go, you can download the free App to plan your visit, then at the park, you can follow a banana trail, see behind the scenes, and take silly selfies.
There’s free WiFi, two kids’ play areas, Xhabu’s tea room, an Ice cream shack, a great little shop and peekaboo boards for posers of all ages! There’s also full disabled access and easy parking – and tickets are valid for a free return trip within 7 days!
Monkey Haven is a charity and all proceeds from your visit will help the animals you’ll meet. So hang out with us and have a happy day!
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Disabled Parking
- Disabled persons toilet
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Wheelchair user accessible
- Cafe - Tea Room
- Catering for groups
- Outdoor eating area
- Picnic area
- Refreshments Available
Children & Infants
- Baby changing
- Children’s packs - Activity booklets and trails for children
- Children's Meals - Children’s picnic box.
- Family Friendly, Children Welcome
- Highchair(s) available
- Outdoor children’s play area - for the under 5's and 'Funky Monkey' Adventure Play area for 6-14
- Gift shop
- Groups by arrangement
- Groups welcome
- Guided tours - Yes at various intervals throughout the day.
- Guided tours by arrangement
- Open on bank holidays
Parking & Transport
- Coach parking
- Free parking
- On site parking
- On site parking close by
- Parking (free)
- Secure cycle parking
- MasterCard accepted
- Visa accepted
- In countryside
- No Smoking Attraction
- Outdoor Attraction
- Cyclists welcome
- Educational Groups
- Family Fun
Tours and Demonstrations
- Demonstrations Given - Keeper talks at various intervals throughout the day.
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Packed lunches available
- Wi-fi available
Map & Directions
From East Cowes ferry, second exit at roundabout onto Well Road, A3021, A3054 to Newport. From the A3054 to Ryde turn right onto Park Road and follow until you reach a mini roundabout. Take the third exit onto Whiterails road, follow past Butterfly world and we are situated 800 yards on the right hand side. From Coppins bridge in Newport, take the Ryde road via Wootton and turn immediately right at the top of the traffic lights onto Staplers road. Follow Staplers road for about 1.5 mile and we are situated on the left hand side just past the Lavender farm.
From Yarmouth ferry, A3054 to Newport, as above.
From Fishbourne ferry, B3339 (Fishbourne lane), A3054 to Newport. Turn right out of the ferry terminal, at the lights turn right signposted Wootton/Newport. Follow the main road up through Wootton and at the top of Wootton High Street turn left at the traffic lights by the Cedars pub. Follow Station road until you reach the mini roundabout and continue over onto Whiterails road which merges into Staplers road. We are situated on the right hand side 800 yards past Butterfly world.
Public Transport Directions
For bus information please contact Southern Vectis at www.islandbuses.info/ or +44 0871 200 2233 (bus times) / +44 01983 827000 (head office).
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good344
- 892gitagIsle of Wight, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyNice day out.Tuesday, 27th October 2020Have lived on the isle of wight 4 years now and this was my first visit. Very impressed with how clean the place was. And how friendly the staff were. Playgrounds were good and cafè food too. I also... Read full review
- 158summeraTrip Type:CouplesA wonderful day outThursday, 29th October 2020This was such a wonderful place to go had lovely enclosures and all the animals seemed very happy and well cared for. The whole place was a positive experience from start to finish such lovely little... Read full review
- charlieonice123Isle of Wight, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyMonkey morningFriday, 4th December 2020We came to visit today so my 2.5 year old could have a run about . Seasonal entry of £8 felt like great value for money , especially with the free return for the next week extended due to reduced... Read full review
ACCESS TO PUBLIC AREAS (Displays, exhibits, rides etc)
CAFETERIA / RESTAURANT
This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.
- Quality Assured Visitor Attraction VB Attraction
- Visit England Awards - Small Visitor Attraction of the Year - Gold 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous - TripAdvisor - Certificate of Excellence 2018
- Visit England Awards - Gold Accolade 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous - 2016/17 Beautiful South Awards for Excellence Gold 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous - TripAdvisor Hall of Fame - 2015 2017
- Visit Isle of Wight Award Green Star - Gold - Visit Isle Of Wight - 2019/20 2019
- Visit England Awards - VisitEngland Award - Best Told Story 2018 2018
- Visit Isle of Wight Award Green Star - Gold - Visit Isle Of Wight - 2020/21 2020
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2021
- Regional and Miscellaneous - 2019/20 Beautiful South Awards for Excellence Gold 2020
|Open (16 Apr 2021 - 16 May 2021)|
|Open (17 May 2021 - 30 Sept 2021)|
|Open (1 Oct 2021 - 31 Oct 2021)|
* December weekend opening:
- 11th, 12th, 13th December
- 18th, 19th, 20th December
- 27th December - 3rd January.
Last entry one hour before closing.
Please see www.monkeyhaven.org for further details