Monkey Haven is a Gold award-winning attraction that makes animals happy... and people happy.
Come and see us at our primate rescue centre and sanctuary just outside Newport. You'll meet our wonderful family including whooping gibbons,
mischievous monkeys, amazing owls, incredible reptiles and the naughtiest meerkats ever! There are keeper talks and animal feeds throughout the day, where you can find out all about our awesome animals and how they came to be here. You can even get up close and personal with some of the reptiles and hand-reared owls who make regular appearances at the daily talks.
There’s so much to see and do including…
• A FREE new awesome App for 2017. Follow trails, collect virtual bananas, get
sneaky peaks behind the scenes and fun photo filters!
• Two great play areas for children (under 5s and over 5s).
• Fun events throughout the year to celebrate animals’ birthdays and other
special occasions (check Facebook for updates).
• FREE booklet of Monkey Puzzles for kids.
• FREE Wifi.
• Colouring activities in the Reptile Lodge.
Gold Award - Beautiful South Awards for Excellence - Small Visitor Attraction, 2014/2015 & 2016/2017
Gold Accolade - VisitEngland Gold Accolade 2014 & 2016
TripAdvisor No 1 attraction on the Island for 2016 & 2017
TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence and Hall of Fame
Our mission is to care for rescued animals – and we’re delighted to welcome some gorgeous new residents for 2017.
Among these are Milan, a Squirrel monkey rescued from the illegal pet trade when an animal lover spotted her for sale on a Spanish website. She has multiple health problems caused by a lack of care and from being forced into inappropriate clothing, such as the flamenco dress that she wore for the online advert.
We are also looking forward to welcoming Djimmy and Buna, two rescued Red-Capped Mangabeys with distinctive red, punky hairos!
Many of the animals we care for have been rescued from the cruel pet trade and are very rare. They are encouraged to display normal behaviour through activities such as foraging for live bugs or tucking into healthy ice-lollies. Every day is different – and fun! So swing on by and say hello, we’d love to welcome you to our happy Haven.
We want every one of our visitors to have a wonderful time, with access to all the facilities that they need. That’s why Monkey Haven has full disabled access. For detailed information, please see our website – [http://www.monkeyhaven.org/visit/access-statement/] - or please get in touch with any questions before or during your visit.
Monkey Haven is a charity and all proceeds from admissions are used to care for creatures in crisis. Registered charity 1153254. Tickets are valid for 7 days.
- In countryside
- No Smoking Attraction
- Outdoor Attraction
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Disabled Parking
- Disabled persons toilet
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Wheelchair user accessible
Children & Infants
- Baby changing
- Children’s packs - Activity booklets and trails for children
- Children's Meals - Children’s picnic box.
- Family Friendly, Children Welcome
- Highchair(s) available
- Outdoor children’s play area - for the under 5's and 'Funky Monkey' Adventure Play area for 6-14
Parking & Transport
- Coach parking
- Free parking
- On site parking
- On site parking close by
- Parking (free)
- Secure cycle parking
- Cafe - Tea Room
- Catering for groups
- Outdoor eating area
- Picnic area
- Refreshments Available
- MasterCard accepted
- Visa accepted
- Gift shop
- Groups by arrangement
- Groups welcome
- Guided tours - Yes at various intervals throughout the day.
- Guided tours by arrangement
- Open on bank holidays
- Cyclists welcome
- Educational Groups
- Family Fun
Tours and Demonstrations
- Demonstrations Given - Keeper talks at various intervals throughout the day.
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Packed lunches available
Map & Directions
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good236
- lopheadTrip Type:FamilyMarvellous Monkey Haven and Awesome Owls!Monday, 29th May 2017This review has been done by my 8 year old son! :) The Layout - in Monkey Haven it is laid out beautifully, I kept saying how wonderful the bushes, plants and trees were. The cages were very fun for... Read full review
- WheelWorldHorsham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyThis is a good attractionSunday, 28th May 2017Great trip here despite a little rain. This is an easily wheelchair accessible and interesting attraction. The animals here were without exception in excellent health with clean and well kept... Read full review
- Ventnor_IoWBobBVentnor, IoWTrip Type:CouplesVery good place, well maintainedSunday, 28th May 2017A real gem on the Island. A good number of monkeys of many different types. Good educational materials around - so a good learning experience too. Well worth a visit. Read full review
ACCESS TO PUBLIC AREAS (Displays, exhibits, rides etc)
CAFETERIA / RESTAURANT
This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.
- Quality Assured Visitor Attraction VB Attraction
- Tourism South East Award - Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Gold Award 2011
- Tourism South East Award - 2011/12 Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Gold Award 2011
- Regional and Miscellaneous - TripAdvisor - Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Visit England Awards - Visit England Gold Accolade 2017
- Visit England Awards - Gold Accolade 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous - 2016/17 Beautiful South Awards for Excellence Gold 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous - TripAdvisor Hall of Fame - 2015 2017
|Opening (24 Mar 2017 - 31 Oct 2017)|
* 12 March –1 October 2017:
10am-5pm, last entry 4pm
7 days a week
For other times, please see website [http://www.monkeyhaven.org/visit/ticketsopening-