Monkey Haven is a Multi award-winning attraction that makes animals happy... and people happy. This Isle of Wight animal sanctuary is Number 1 on TripAdvisor and the best small attraction in England, according to the tourism chiefs at VisitEngland.
Come and see us at our primate rescue centre and sanctuary just outside Newport. You'll meet our wonderful family including whooping gibbons,
mischievous monkeys, amazing owls, incredible reptiles and the naughtiest meerkats ever! There are keeper talks and animal feeds throughout the day, where you can find out all about our awesome animals and how they came to be here. You can even get up close and personal with some of the reptiles and hand-reared owls who make regular appearances at the daily talks.
There’s so much to see and do including…
• New for Summer 2018 * Visit our brand new Reptile Lodge with residents including rescued tortoises, friendly snakes and a bearded dragon.
• Download our FREE awesome App. Follow trails, collect virtual bananas, get sneaky peaks behind the scenes, and take silly selfies! Check it out to plan your visit – or download it at the park where there’s free Wifi.
• Explore the most extraordinary rainforest on the planet with our A-Z of the AmaZing AmaZon.
• Meet new rescued animals including Djimmy, Buna… and their squeaky toy pig!
• Two great play areas for children (under 5s and over 5s).
• Fun events throughout the year to celebrate animals’ birthdays, holidays and other special occasions (check Facebook for updates).
• FREE booklet of Monkey Puzzles for kids including a tiny treat trail.
Small Visitor Addraction of the Year 2017 from VisitEngland
Gold Award - Beautiful South Awards for Excellence - Small Visitor Attraction, 2014/2015 & 2016/2017
Gold Accolade - VisitEngland Gold Accolade 2014 & 2016
TripAdvisor No 1 attraction on the Island for 2016 & 2017
TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence and Hall of Fame
Our mission is to care for rescued animals – and we’re delighted to welcome some gorgeous new residents for 2018.
Djimmy and Buna, two Red-Capped Mangabeys, are settling in nicely… and causing quite a sensation with their squeaky toy pig! Djimmy was left in isolation for many years, and the pig is part of his rehabilitation. Unfortunately Buna is the jealous type and is determined to destroy it… so they get through quite a few!
You can also meet the sweetest little Squirrel Monkeys including Maya, who was spotted roaming around the streets in Germany – strangely, that’s just how Djimmy was discovered too.
Plus say hello to the cheeky Capuchin family including the most adorable new baby.
Many of the animals we care for have been rescued from the cruel pet trade and are very rare. They are encouraged to display normal behaviour through activities such as foraging for live bugs or tucking into healthy ice-lollies. Every day is different and fun! So swing on by and say hello, we’d love to welcome you to our happy Haven.
We want every one of our visitors to have a wonderful time, with access to all the facilities that they need. That’s why Monkey Haven has full disabled access. For detailed information, please see our website at http://www.monkeyhaven.org/visit/access-statement/ or get in touch with any questions before or during your visit.
Monkey Haven is a charity and all proceeds from admissions are used to care for creatures in crisis. Registered charity 1153254. Facilities include a lovely tea room, gift shop, free wifi, two play area’s, pushchair friendly paths, free parking and all tickets are valid for a complimentary free return within 7 days. Have a happy day!
- In countryside
- No Smoking Attraction
- Outdoor Attraction
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Disabled Parking
- Disabled persons toilet
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Wheelchair user accessible
Children & Infants
- Baby changing
- Children’s packs - Activity booklets and trails for children
- Children's Meals - Children’s picnic box.
- Family Friendly, Children Welcome
- Highchair(s) available
- Outdoor children’s play area - for the under 5's and 'Funky Monkey' Adventure Play area for 6-14
Parking & Transport
- Coach parking
- Free parking
- On site parking
- On site parking close by
- Parking (free)
- Secure cycle parking
- Cafe - Tea Room
- Catering for groups
- Outdoor eating area
- Picnic area
- Refreshments Available
- MasterCard accepted
- Visa accepted
- Gift shop
- Groups by arrangement
- Groups welcome
- Guided tours - Yes at various intervals throughout the day.
- Guided tours by arrangement
- Open on bank holidays
- Cyclists welcome
- Educational Groups
- Family Fun
Tours and Demonstrations
- Demonstrations Given - Keeper talks at various intervals throughout the day.
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Packed lunches available
Map & Directions
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good273
- Carherine84Trip Type:FamilyA must!Saturday, 14th April 2018This was the 2nd time we have visited over the last three years and it’s a fantastic place to visit whether you have children or not. The animals all look happy and healthy, the animal talks are... Read full review
- Mat TTrip Type:FamilyLovely placeSaturday, 14th April 2018We visited for a few hours with our kids on a day out. Was a lovely, well maintained place and the staff were very friendly. They were very knowledgeable about the animals and seemed very passionate... Read full review
- K WTrip Type:FamilyGreat placeFriday, 13th April 2018Called in for a few hours on a grey day. A really lovely place. Well-kept grounds and enclosures. Keeper talks are great and interactive. The children’s activity book is great for younger visitors... Read full review
ACCESS TO PUBLIC AREAS (Displays, exhibits, rides etc)
CAFETERIA / RESTAURANT
This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.
- Quality Assured Visitor Attraction VB Attraction
- Visit England Awards - Small Visitor Attraction of the Year - Gold 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous - TripAdvisor - Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Visit England Awards - Visit England Gold Accolade 2017
- Visit England Awards - Gold Accolade 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous - 2016/17 Beautiful South Awards for Excellence Gold 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous - TripAdvisor Hall of Fame - 2015 2017
|Opening (10 Feb 2018 - 9 Feb 2019)|
* Open from 10 7 days a week
Closes at 5pm in the summer 4pm all other times.
Last entry one hour before closing
Please see www.monkeyhaven.org for details