Tickets can be pre-booked on the website.
Swing on by to Monkey Haven and visit the Island's award-winning primate rescue centre that makes animals happy - and people happy. It's a great place to relax, have fun in the fresh air and meet some amazing animals. This popular sanctuary is in TripAdvisor's Hall of Fame and winner of Best Small Attraction in England, according to the tourism chiefs at VisitEngland.
You’ll meet all kinds of wonderful animals, including the singing Lar gibbons, cheeky meerkats and the most beautiful birds of prey. You could even get this chance to handle a snake or meet an owl during one of the many keeper talks and animal feeds throughout the day. You'll learn all about the fascinating creatures, their personalities, and how they came to be at the Haven. Many were rescued from tragic situations, found tied up in airports, or badly neglected by their previous owners.
The keepers have won a top award for their talks - VisitEngland’s Best Told Story accolade for 2018 - so don’t miss them when you’re there!
There’s so much to see and do including…
• Download our FREE awesome App. Follow trails, collect virtual bananas, get sneaky behind the scenes, and take silly selfies! Check it out to plan your visit – or download it at the park where there’s free Wifi.
• Meet new rescued animals at the daily keeper talks, including Djimmy, Buna …and their squeaky toy pig!
• Have a hoot with the owls’ - Meet Ketch, Groot and Beau at the daily owl talks.
• Get up close to a snake at ‘Reptile Rendezvous’ – or meet some rescued reptiles in our new Reptile Lodge.
• FREE booklet of monkey puzzles for kids including a tiny treat trail.
• Two great play areas for children (under 5’s and over 5’s).
The Haven’s mission is to provide a happy forever home for rescued animals. Recent rescues include the Cherry Crowned Mangabeys, Djimmy and Buna – with their squeaky toy pig.
You can also meet the critically endangered Cotton-Top Tamarins, who were rescued from tiny birdcages and lucky to survive.
Plus say hello to Peppino the Capuchin, who bears scars around his neck, from being chained to a bar in a collar that was too tight. He’s now happily settled with a family of his own, so pop along and see them.
Free, Fun App
Before you go, you can download the free App to plan your visit. Then at the park, you can follow a banana trail, see behind the scenes, and take silly selfies.
There’s free WiFi, two kids’ play areas, an ice cream lodge, a great little shop and Xhabu’s tea room where tasty treats are served throughout the day. There’s also full disabled access and easy parking – and tickets are valid for a free return trip within 7 days!
Red Funnel Isle of Wight awards - Gold winner 2019-2020
Monkey Haven is a charity and all proceeds from your visit will go towards caring for the animals you'll meet. So hang out, have fun and monkey around with us this Summer - we can't wait to welcome you to our happy Haven.
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Disabled Parking
- Disabled persons toilet
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Wheelchair user accessible
- Cafe - Tea Room
- Catering for groups
- Outdoor eating area
- Picnic area
- Refreshments Available
Children & Infants
- Baby changing
- Children’s packs - Activity booklets and trails for children
- Children's Meals - Children’s picnic box.
- Family Friendly, Children Welcome
- Highchair(s) available
- Outdoor children’s play area - for the under 5's and 'Funky Monkey' Adventure Play area for 6-14
- Gift shop
- Groups by arrangement
- Groups welcome
- Guided tours - Yes at various intervals throughout the day.
- Guided tours by arrangement
- Open on bank holidays
Parking & Transport
- Coach parking
- Free parking
- On site parking
- On site parking close by
- Parking (free)
- Secure cycle parking
- MasterCard accepted
- Visa accepted
- In countryside
- No Smoking Attraction
- Outdoor Attraction
- Cyclists welcome
- Educational Groups
- Family Fun
Tours and Demonstrations
- Demonstrations Given - Keeper talks at various intervals throughout the day.
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Packed lunches available
- Wi-fi available
Map & Directions
From East Cowes ferry, second exit at roundabout onto Well Road, A3021, A3054 to Newport. From the A3054 to Ryde turn right onto Park Road and follow until you reach a mini roundabout. Take the third exit onto Whiterails road, follow past Butterfly world and we are situated 800 yards on the right hand side. From Coppins bridge in Newport, take the Ryde road via Wootton and turn immediately right at the top of the traffic lights onto Staplers road. Follow Staplers road for about 1.5 mile and we are situated on the left hand side just past the Lavender farm.
From Yarmouth ferry, A3054 to Newport, as above.
From Fishbourne ferry, B3339 (Fishbourne lane), A3054 to Newport. Turn right out of the ferry terminal, at the lights turn right signposted Wootton/Newport. Follow the main road up through Wootton and at the top of Wootton High Street turn left at the traffic lights by the Cedars pub. Follow Station road until you reach the mini roundabout and continue over onto Whiterails road which merges into Staplers road. We are situated on the right hand side 800 yards past Butterfly world.
Public Transport Directions
For bus information please visit the Southern Vectis website - www.islandbuses.info/
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good349
- Amethyst86Waterlooville, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyLovely Afternoon at a Brilliant PlaceTuesday, 27th July 2021A lovely place to visit - it looks as if they do great work with the animals, and it is very well kept and clean. Two play areas for the kids (for over and under 5), a coffee shop and snacks bar, and... Read full review
- 426stuartwTrip Type:Friends getawayBrilliant Zoo KeepersWednesday, 28th July 2021Excellent experience and learnt a lot about primates. Jordan the keeper was brilliant and made the visit. Would recommend this place to young families. Read full review
- kellyy518Stockton-on-Tees, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyAbsolutely loved our visit.Thursday, 29th July 2021A fantastic place that is definitely worth a visit. The animals are so well cared for and their enclosures are amazing. They provide the animals with so much enrichment to keep them happy and it was... Read full review
ACCESS TO PUBLIC AREAS (Displays, exhibits, rides etc)
CAFETERIA / RESTAURANT
This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.
- Quality Assured Visitor Attraction VB Attraction
- Visit England Awards - Small Visitor Attraction of the Year - Gold 2017
- Visit England Awards - Gold Accolade 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous - Trip Advisor Travellers’ Choice award 2020
- Visit England Awards - VisitEngland Award - Best Told Story 2018 2018
- Visit Isle of Wight Award Green Star - Gold - Visit Isle Of Wight - 2020/21 2020
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2021
- Regional and Miscellaneous - 2019/20 Beautiful South Awards for Excellence Gold 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous - WTTC Safe Travels 2021
|Open (17 May 2021 - 31 Oct 2021)|
* December weekend opening:
- 11th, 12th, 13th December
- 18th, 19th, 20th December
- 27th December - 3rd January.
Last entry one hour before closing.
Please see www.monkeyhaven.org for further details