Tickets can be pre-booked on the website.
Say hello to Monkey Haven, the Island's award-winning primate rescue centre that makes animals happy - and people happy. It's a place to relax, have fun in the fresh air and meet some amazing animals. The Island’s favourite sanctuary is a winner of VisitEngland’s Best Small Attraction, as well as being in TripAdvisor’s Hall of Fame.
You’ll come face to face with all kinds of rescued animals, including the singing Lar gibbons, meerkats, reptiles and birds of prey. You could even get the chance to handle a snake or meet an owl during one of the regular keeper talks and animal feeds throughout the day. Learn all about the fascinating creatures, their personalities, and how they came to be at the Haven. Many were rescued from tragic situations, found tied up in airports, or badly neglected by their previous owners.
The keepers have won a top award for their talks - VisitEngland’s Best Told Story accolade - so don’t miss them!
There’s loads to see and do including…
• Visit the fab new Capuchin House – it's powered by solar energy and is a lovely spacious home for Peppino, Lulu and their tribe. You will also see the two critically endangered yellow-breasted Capuchins, Dennis and Juan, who are brothers and arrived in May 2023.
• Have a hoot with the owls’ – meet new arrivals Coco and Nutmeg, the stunning Great Grey Owls, at the daily owl talks.
• Get up close to a snake at our ‘Reptile Rendezvous’, eyeball a tarantula and meet some cold-blooded friends in the Reptile Lodge.
• FREE activity booklet for kids including a tiny treat trail.
• Two fun play areas for children (under 5’s and over 5’s).
• Pop into Xhabu’s Tea Room for hot and cold food and drinks, chill out at the Ice Cream Shack or enjoy your own al fresco feast in the picnic areas.
• Download our FREE awesome App. Follow trails, collect virtual bananas, see behind the scenes, and take silly selfies! Check it out to plan your visit – or download it at the park where there’s free Wifi.
The Haven’s mission is to provide a happy forever home for rescued animals. Recent rescues include the endangered Diana monkeys, Taabo and Imara – who are enjoying their new life living with the Colobus monkeys.
You can also meet the critically endangered Cotton-Top Tamarins, who were rescued from tiny birdcages and lucky to survive. And swing by to see gorgeous Xhabu the Siamang – our social media star!
Free, Fun App
Before you visit, you can download the free App to plan your day. Then at the park, you can follow a banana trail, see behind the scenes, and take silly selfies.
There’s free WiFi, two kids’ play areas, an ice cream lodge, a great gift shop and Xhabu’s tea room where tasty treats are served throughout the day. The Haven has full disabled access and easy parking – and tickets are valid for a free return trip within 7 days!
Quiet Hour sessions
The Quiet Hour is a time for people with hidden disabilities and additional needs, such as autism, to enjoy the Haven. The Quiet Hour runs from 9am to 10am on Wednesdays and Saturdays with the aim of making Monkey Haven more accessible to everyone. Doors open at 10am to all visitors, and anyone who has come for the Quiet Hour is welcome to stay on for as long as they wish.
Some of the resident monkeys love to sing and can be a bit noisy. The Haven can supply ear defenders to anyone who needs them.
Normal entrance fees apply, with free entry for a carer (please bring appropriate documentation). Pre-book tickets online for these sessions in advance to avoid disappointment.
Other recent awards
Red Funnel Isle of Wight awards – Best Small Attraction Gold winner 2022, Best Green Business Gold winner 2022.
Monkey Haven is a charity and all proceeds from your visit will go towards caring for the animals you'll meet. So hang out and have fun with us - we can't wait to welcome you to our happy Haven.
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Disabled Parking
- Disabled persons toilet
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Wheelchair user accessible
- Cafe - Tea Room
- Catering for groups
- Outdoor eating area
- Picnic area
- Refreshments Available
Children & Infants
- Baby changing
- Children’s packs - Activity booklets and trails for children
- Children's Meals - Children’s picnic box.
- Family Friendly, Children Welcome
- Highchair(s) available
- Outdoor children’s play area - for the under 5's and 'Funky Monkey' Adventure Play area for 6-14
- Gift shop
- Groups by arrangement
- Groups welcome
- Guided tours - Yes at various intervals throughout the day.
- Guided tours by arrangement
- Open Christmas
- Open New Year
- Open on bank holidays
Parking & Transport
- Coach parking
- Free parking
- On site parking
- On site parking close by
- Parking (free)
- Secure cycle parking
- MasterCard accepted
- Visa accepted
- In countryside
- No Smoking Attraction
- Outdoor Attraction
- Cyclists welcome
- Educational Groups
- Family Fun
Tours and Demonstrations
- Demonstrations Given - Keeper talks at various intervals throughout the day.
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Packed lunches available
- Wi-fi available
Map & Directions
From East Cowes ferry, second exit at roundabout onto Well Road, A3021, A3054 to Newport. From the A3054 to Ryde turn right onto Park Road and follow until you reach a mini roundabout. Take the third exit onto Whiterails road, follow past Butterfly world and we are situated 800 yards on the right hand side. From Coppins bridge in Newport, take the Ryde road via Wootton and turn immediately right at the top of the traffic lights onto Staplers road. Follow Staplers road for about 1.5 mile and we are situated on the left hand side just past the Lavender farm.
From Yarmouth ferry, A3054 to Newport, as above.
From Fishbourne ferry, B3339 (Fishbourne lane), A3054 to Newport. Turn right out of the ferry terminal, at the lights turn right signposted Wootton/Newport. Follow the main road up through Wootton and at the top of Wootton High Street turn left at the traffic lights by the Cedars pub. Follow Station road until you reach the mini roundabout and continue over onto Whiterails road which merges into Staplers road. We are situated on the right hand side 800 yards past Butterfly world.
Public Transport Directions
For bus information please visit the Southern Vectis website - www.islandbuses.info/
- Welcome to Monkey Haven
- The Story of Monkey Haven - Charity Film Awards
- Day in the life of a Keeper
- Xhabu, enjoying a warm potato
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good367
- L553GZterrycHoo Saint Werburgh, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesMonkey businessTuesday, 17th October 2023A truly wonderful day. The keepers are amazing. Feeding times were nicely spaced out. Great refreshments area and good accessibility fir wheelchairs. Read full review
- Nicki MMonkey and owl sanctuary.Sunday, 22nd October 2023Absolutely stunning and beautifully looked after monkey /owl rescue sanctuary, talks from Kerry and Nicole was fantastic and informative and captivated the audience, loved every minute and will be... Read full review
- not_the_georgeLondon, United KingdomGreat AttractionWednesday, 25th October 2023Really interesting place. Very good talks, lots of interesting information tailored for family audience! Very cute animals and birds. The children loved it! Read full review
ACCESS TO PUBLIC AREAS (Displays, exhibits, rides etc)
CAFETERIA / RESTAURANT
This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.
- Quality Assured Visitor Attraction VB Attraction
- Regional and Miscellaneous - Trip Advisor Travellers’ Choice award 2022
- Visit England Awards - VisitEngland Award - Best Told Story 2018 2018
- Regional and Miscellaneous - 2019/20 Beautiful South Awards for Excellence Gold 2020
|Open New Year|
|Closed for Maintenance (1 Dec 2023 - 9 Feb 2024)|
|Open daily (9 Feb 2024 - 30 Sept 2024)|
|Open daily (1 Oct 2024 - 5 Nov 2024)|
|Weekends from 11 November (11 Nov 2024 - 30 Nov 2024)|
* Now – 30 September 2023 - Daily, 10am – 5pm, last entry 4pm.
* 1 October – 5 November 2023 - Daily, 10am – 4pm, last entry 3pm.
* Weekends from 11 November 2023 - Friday – Sunday, 10am – 4pm, last entry 3pm.
* December 2023 to February 2024 half term - Closed for maintenance.
* Quiet hour (for visitors with hidden disabilities and additional needs) - Wednesday & Saturday - 9am - 10am (stay as long as you like).