For admission prices and tickets please visit our website
From pocket sized primates to powerful predators, the residents of Wildheart Animal Sanctuary, will charm and amaze you!
Wildheart Animal Sanctuary is based on Sandown Beach, Winner of BBC Countryfile Magazines 2019 Beach of the Year Award, which is on the east coast of the Island. The sanctuary is well known as a centre for rescued big cats, all have come to their forever homes at different stages of their lives and from a variety of backgrounds. Originally family-owned it recently became a registered charity, Wildheart Animal Sanctuary, which aims to promote the survival of endangered species through first class educational and recreational experiences, exemplary animal management, conservation and research.
New primate rescue facilitiy is now open and houses multiple species of primates that the sanctuary aims to rehome over the coming years. The facility is constructed of two gigantic bamboo domes, the first of their kind in Europe. These iconic geodesic structures tower over the buildings of Sandown, forming an unrivalled multilevel space for the inhabitants to thrive in.
The Wildheart Trust, is dedicated to realising its global ambitions to make a meaningful impact on the health of the natural world while actively improving the well-being of animals in human care.
Countryside business of the year - 2022
Rural tourism business of the year - 2022
- Disabled Parking
- Disabled persons toilet
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Wheelchair user accessible
- Catering for groups
- Food Shop on site
- On-Site cafe/restaurant
- Outdoor eating area
- Picnic area
- Picnic Site
- Refreshments Available
- Take away food
- Undercover picnic area
- Vegetarians catered for
Children & Infants
- Babes in Arms
- Baby changing
- Children’s packs
- Children's Meals
- Family Friendly, Children Welcome
- Highchair(s) available
- Outdoor children’s play area
- All weather attraction
- Beach / Coast within walking distance
- Beach/Coast 5 min walking distance
- Event Venue
- Gift shop
- Groups welcome
- Guided tours
- Guided tours by arrangement
- LGBT Friendly
- Licensed for alcohol
- Meeting rooms
- No Pets
- Open all year round
- Open New Year
- Open on bank holidays
- Special Opening for Groups by Arrangement
- Team / Corporate Activities
Parking & Transport
- Coach parking
- On Site Car Parking
- Own car park (Fee Applies)
- Park and Ride
- Parking (charge)
- Railway station within 5 miles
- Railway station within walking distance
- Secure cycle parking
- Approx length of visit - 2-3 hours
- Groups Accepted - Coaches and large group bookings are eligible for a reduced admission charge. Please call 01983 403883 ext. 116 for more information.
- Maestro Accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Solo accepted
- Special group rates - Special group rates for coaches and minivans. Minimum number in party of 15 people. Call 01983 302882 ext. 116 for more information.
- Visa accepted
- Countryside Setting
- No Smoking Attraction
- Outdoor Attraction
- Smoking Some Areas - Smoking is allowed outside the sanctuary in a designated smoking area.
- Cyclists welcome
- Educational Groups
- Family Fun
- Information Point
- Marketed Towards Families
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens
- Marketed towards student/youth
Tours and Demonstrations
- Demonstrations Given
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Wi-fi available
Map & Directions
If coming by car then use PO36 8QB for your SatNav.
By ferry from East Cowes (Red Funnel): Second exit at roundabout onto Well Road, A3021, A3054 to Newport, A3020 to Sandown, A3056 to Lake, A3055 to Sandown.
By ferry from Fishbourne (Wightlink): B3339 (Fishbourne Lane), A3054 to Ryde (Esplanade), straight along the Esplanade to the boating lake, follow the road round to the right onto A3055 to Sandown.
By ferry from Yarmouth (Wightlink): A3054 to Newport, A3020 to Sandown, A3056 to Lake, A3055 to Sandown.
Public Transport Directions
The sanctuary is serviced by the Number 8 bus route. Route details and times are available from this link: https://bustimes.org/services/8-newport-arreton-sandown-bembridge-seaview-ryde. For further bus information please visit the Southern Vectis website at www.islandbuses.info/.
ACCESS TO PUBLIC AREAS (Displays, exhibits, rides etc)
CAFETERIA / RESTAURANT
This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.
- Tourism South East Award - Best Tourism Experience Highly Commended 2010
- Visit Isle of Wight Award Wight Gift Card Venue 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous - WTTC Safe Travels 2021
- Regional and Miscellaneous - TripAdvisor Travellers Choice Best of the Best Award 2022
|Open New Year|
|Open (1 Oct 2023 - 31 Mar 2024)|
|Open (1 Feb 2024 - 31 Mar 2024)|
|Open (1 Apr 2024 - 30 Sept 2024)|
* Open all year round except Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
* JANUARY 2023 CLOSED FOR REFURBISHMENT.