Free Admission and Car Park
You can see Quarr Abbey from the car ferry to Fishbourne, nestling among the trees on the shore. Passengers visiting the Island enjoy taking various guesses at what it could be.
Quarr Abbey is home to a small group of Benedictine monks who strive to dedicate their lives to the glory of God, and whose day is characterised by prayer, work and community life.
You can visit the church and wander around the grounds to experience the tranquil atmosphere, visit the art gallery where local artists display their artwork or browse the bookshop, where you can buy published works by a member of the community of monks along with other Quarr Abbey souvenirs.
The Visitor Centre is designed to provide an inspiring and informative introduction to the monastic way of life and the beautiful and historic estate where they live. The centre displays an introductory film to provide a thought provoking insight into the Benedictine tradition, which stretches back over 1500 years. It reveals the history of Quarr Abbey and highlights the special nature of a site that is a haven for rare wildlife and plants.
Located in Quarr Abbey’s serene and beautiful surroundings of the walled gardens, you will discover the popular licensed teashop. Whether indulging in a speciality coffee made from a unique blend of Island roasted coffee, or having lunch ‘Al fresco’ in the tranquil tea garden, visitors will enjoy the relaxing atmosphere. Our eatery, popular to both local and visitors to the Island, offers a selection of freshly prepared sandwiches, paninis, soups, or chef’s specials that make the most of Quarr Abbeys own allotment-grown produce.
The farm shop offers a variety of local Island products along with Quarr Abbey’s own unique range of goodies including:
• Quarr Abbey Ale
• Apple Cider
• Apple Juice
• Jams and chutneys
• Fruit and vegetables from the allotments
As part of the many interests, browse and enjoy the art gallery where local artists display their art work throughout the year. Whether it is an Arts and Craft workshop or an exhibition of paintings; there is always a creative offer to view and experience at the gallery, making it a popular destination for all visitors to the Abbey.
The Monastery shop offers a wide selection, particularly Christian spirituality, monastic and Benedictine books. There is also a great selection of children’s books available, along with published works by a member of the community of monks. Also available is an interesting range of Abbey souvenirs and devotional items.
For everyone interested in the history of Quarr Abbey, tours are available on the first Tuesday of every month, and every Tuesday in July and August at 11.00am.
BUS & CYCLE ROUTES (DRIVE LESS SEE MORE EXPERIENCES):
* Bus - Routes 4, 3 or Downs Breezer.
* More Info - http://www.islandbuses.info/
* Take a mostly off road cycle ride from Ryde to visit Quarr Abbey.
* More Information:
- Indoor Attraction
Map & Directions
Road DirectionsFrom East Cowes ferry, A3054 to Ryde.
From Fishbourne ferry, B3339 (Fishbourne lane), A3054 to Ryde.
From Yarmouth ferry, A3054 to Newport, A3054 to Ryde.
Public Transport DirectionsFrom West Cowes Red Jet Hi-speed ferry: No. 1 bus route to Newport and change to No. 9 to Ryde.
From Yarmouth ferry: No. 7 bus route to Newport and change to No. 9 to Ryde.
For further bus information please contact Southern Vectis at www.islandbuses.info/ or +44 0871 200 2233 (bus times) / +44 01983 827000 (head office).
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good264
- idcusTrip Type:CouplesUnusual AbbeyWednesday, 18th July 2018You can get to this abbey by bike, using the hit and miss cycle track from Newport to Ryde. The abbey is set in lovely grounds and there is a small cafe to purchase food. Read full review
- TauntontravelerTaunton, EnglandTrip Type:CouplesWorth a visitSunday, 15th July 2018This is a nice visit, there is a simple but pleasant modern abbey to look at and a short walk to the ruins of the old abbey that succumbed to Henry the 8th. There is also a gift shop and small... Read full review
- Al-ShumbaLuton, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesTranquil locationFriday, 13th July 2018Quarr Abbey is a tranquil location and there is a sense of peace there. They have the new abbey and church for those who wish to go to services and they have the ruins of the old monastery. The tea... Read full review
|Open (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
|Closed (24 Dec 2018 - 1 Jan 2019)|
* * Open 7 days a week (except Good Friday and Christmas Eve to New Year's Day)
* Summer - 10.00am-5.00pm • Sundays 11.15am-5.00pm
* Winter - 10.00am-4.00pm • Sundays 11.15am-4.00pm
* Disabled access
* Teashop: 01983 898543
* General enquiries: 01983 882420