|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Senior Citizen ticket||£4.00|
|2 + 2||£17.50|
|3 - 15 yrs||£5.00|
|Family 2+3||£20.50 per ticket|
|School Child (party min 10)||£3.50|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
Dinosaur Isle is now open. Please call 01983 404344 to book your visit and before you do, please read the information below to ensure you will get the most from your time with us; measures are in place to ensure you and our staff are safe.
* Our opening times are Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm with our last admission at 3pm.
* Face coverings must be worn inside all areas of our museum and shop with the exception of those who are medically exempt. Our staff will be wearing masks too.
* Please comply with government guidelines on social distancing.
* A telephone booking system is in place to ensure we don’t exceed our limits on capacity and to enable us to comply with the NHS Test and Trace system. Our staff will take your details and hold these for 21 days to comply with government guidelines. Your personal details will be destroyed thereafter and not used for any other purposes.
* Screens are in place at reception.
* We will be taking contactless payments.
* A one-way system is in place in order to maximise social distancing. If you would like to revisit anything you have seen in the museum, you can follow the one way route and walk through again.
* We have introduced hand sanitiser throughout the museum to enable you to touch our interactive displays. Please use this as frequently as possible and always before and after touching an interactive.
* We will carry out enhanced cleaning throughout the museum.
* Our toilet facilities are open as normal with paper hand towels available.
At present fossil walks, interactive sandpits and the education room will not be available at the moment.
Dinosaur Isle is Britain's first purpose built dinosaur attraction just over the sea wall in Sandown where in a spectacularly shaped building reminiscent of a Pterosaur flying across the cretaceous skies you can walk back through fossilised time to the period of the dinosaurs 120 million years ago.
Set in amongst a recreated landscape you will meet life sized models of the Isle of Wight's famous five dinosaurs - NEOVENATOR, EOTYRANNUS, IGUANODON, HYPSILOPHODON and POLACANTHUS. Flying above you amongst the haunting sounds of a long lost forest are pterodactyls.
You will see dinosaur skeletons as they are found by the fossil hunters and can watch our volunteers preparing the latest exciting finds. At Dinosaur Isle you will be able to encounter the lost world of dinosaurs that once roamed freely across the Isle of Wight.
Amongst the many hands on interactives in the museum there is even a robotic dinosaur that you can control!
Quality Assured Visitor Attraction
The attraction can supply:
- Worksheet for teachers
- Worksheet for children
- Picnic area
- Guided Tours
- Coach parking
- Five to Eight year olds
- Eight To Twelve year olds
- Twelve to Sixteen year olds
- Sixteen plus
Related Curriculum Subjects:
DRIVE LESS SEE MORE EXPERIENCES:
Use the sandhopper community bus from Sandown every half hour on a Saturday for just £1 for an adult to get to the Islands Dinosaur museum. Travel back to the Jurassic period in one quick hop. Take the train from Shanklin and Ryde to connect with the sand hopper buss at Sandown station. The sand hopper bus provides that missing link connecting the rail to the museum.
* Sandhopper bus - http://isleofwightcrp.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Sandown-Sat-Rail-Bus-March-2014.pdf
* Other Bus Routes - 8, Downs Breezer or Island Coaster. More Info - http://www.islandbuses.info/
* Island line - http://www.visitisleofwight.co.uk/plan-your-visit/travel-information/island-line-p145701
- Accessible Lift
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Disabled Parking
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- No dogs (Guide dogs accepted) - Only guide dogs allowed in buildings.
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors - 3 designated bays for the disabled.
- Ramp/Level Access
- On-Site cafe/restaurant - Chilled soft drinks and confectionary are available in the Dinosaur Isle shop.
- Outdoor eating area
- Picnic area
- Picnic Site
- Refreshments Available - Chilled soft drinks and confectionary are available in the Dinosaur Isle shop.
Children & Infants
- Baby changing
- Family Friendly, Children Welcome
- All weather attraction
- Dogs admitted on a lead - Outside areas only.
- Gift shop
- Groups welcome
- Guided tours by arrangement
- Meeting rooms
- Open all year round
- Open on bank holidays
Parking & Transport
- Coach parking
- On site parking
- Own car park (Fee Applies) - 1st April to 31st October Charges for 2011 are as follows -upto 4 hours £3.40 4 - 6 hours £4.50 6 - 8 hours £6.60
- Parking (charge) - Charges for 2011 are as follows - upto 4 hours £3.40 4 - 6 hours £4.50 6 - 8 hours £6.60
- Railway station within 5 miles
- Railway station within walking distance
- Indoor Attraction
- No smoking
- Educational Groups
- Family Fun
- Marketed Towards Children
- Marketed Towards Families
- Marketed towards student/youth
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
Map & Directions
From East Cowes ferry, second exit at roundabout onto Well Road, A3021, A3054 to Newport, A3020 to Sandown, A3056 to Lake, A3055 to Sandown.
From Fishbourne ferry, B3339 (Fishbourne lane), A3054 to Ryde (Esplanade), straight along the Esplanade to the boating lake, follow the road round to the right onto A3055 to Sandown.
From Yarmouth ferry, A3054 to Newport, A3020 to Sandown, A3056 to Lake, A3055 to Sandown.
Public Transport Directions
From Ryde: please either visit the train station annexed to the Catamaran or travel on the No. 2 or 3 bus route.
From West Cowes Red Jet Hi-speed ferry: No. 1 bus route to Newport and change to No. 2, 3 or 8.
From Yarmouth ferry: No. 7 Newport and change to No. 2, 3 or 8.
For further bus information please contact Southern Vectis at www.islandbuses.info/ or +44 0871 200 2233 (bus times) / +44 01983 827000 (head office).
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good346
- MillsfamilyKent44Trip Type:FamilyExcellent value for moneyMonday, 3rd August 2020Such a shame that some of the interactive displays were out of use, but we were so pleased that the museum was re-opened while we were on holiday. Excellent value for money Read full review
- Fiona TTrip Type:FamilyExcellent museum for dinosaur enthusiastThursday, 6th August 2020We checked the website and called up to book our visit for the same day as they are limiting numbers, details given as expected for track and trace. Parked in the Dinosaur Isle car park, minimum... Read full review
- Vikingp365Great valueSaturday, 8th August 2020We visited Dinosaur Isle as a family, my son received a children’s pack upon entry which included activities, crayons, pencil and an ammonite fridge magnet. The museum is quite small but is jam... Read full review
- Green Island Awards - Green Island Award - Gold 2008
|Open (1 Apr 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
|Open (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
* Please note that last admission is 3pm.