Visit Newport Minster to:
• Find the forgotten Princess
• Discover an Elizabethan pirate
• Learn how Queen Victoria got involved
• Go to concerts and exhibitions
• Join in services
• Find a place of peace
• And sample coffees from around the world.
Whether you like history, church buildings, concerts, exhibitions, services of worship or simply a place to be quiet the Minster has something to offer you.
Newport Minster is the Church at the Heart of the Isle of Wight. You’ll find it in the centre of Newport where you can combine a visit with shopping and enjoying the continental atmosphere of the surrounding square.
It’s fascinating history has links to Carisbrooke Castle, Osborne House and the Royals. Follow it from the Middle Ages, through Elizabethan times, the Civil War and Queen Victoria right up to the present day. Guided tours (including educational and other groups) are available by contacting the Parish Office but you are also welcome to visit and wander at your own pace too. Information is available in the church in several languages and volunteers are on hand to answer your questions.
Newport Minster is a working church with regular services throughout the week which you are very welcome to join. Exhibitions and concerts are held throughout the year and it is also the venue for many special civic and community services. Please visit the website, www.newportminster.org, to find out more details about all services and events.
The Minster offers a place of peace and refreshment in the centre of the bustling town. People often visit to pray or simply to be quite and we ask all visitors to be respectful of the needs of others.
Finally no visit would be complete with stopping for refreshment at the coffee shop; serving a choice of world coffees, teas and light refreshments.
There is no entry fee however donations are always welcome to help with the upkeep and restoration of this remarkable building.
EDUCATIONAL VISITS are welcome at Newport Minster.
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Induction Loop System - For services in the main body of the church
- Ramp/Level Access
- Wheelchair user accessible - Only small areas are not wheelchair accessible.
- On-Site cafe/restaurant - Coffee shop serving World Coffees, Teas and light refreshments
- Outdoor eating area
- Refreshments Available
- Vegetarians catered for
Children & Infants
- Family Friendly, Children Welcome
- All weather attraction
- Dogs admitted on a lead
- Event Venue - Exhibitions and concerts held throughout the year as well as regular services. See the website for details, www.newportminster.org
- Groups welcome
- Guided tours by arrangement - Please contact the Parish Office, 01983 821961 or email email@example.com
- Licensed for weddings & ceremonies
- Live Music - Regular concerts are held including the Island Jazz Festival
- Open all year round
- Open Christmas - For services
- Open on bank holidays
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Special Opening for Groups by Arrangement - Please contact the Parish Office, 01983 821961 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - There is a multi-storey car park opposite the square and on street parking.
- Approx length of visit - 1 hour
- Groups Accepted
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times - Please contact the Parish Office, 01983 821961 or email email@example.com
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- No Smoking Attraction
- Cyclists welcome
- Educational Groups
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
Map & Directions
From East Cowes ferry, second exit at roundabout onto Well Road, A3021, A3054 to Newport.
From Fishbourne ferry, B3339 (Fishbourne lane), A3054 to Newport.
From Yarmouth ferry, A3054 to Newport.
Public Transport Directions
From West Cowes Red Jet Hi-speed ferry: No. 1 bus route to Newport.
From Ryde Catamaran/Hovertravel: No. 9 bus route to Newport.
From Yarmouth ferry: No. 7 bus route to Newport.
For further bus information please contact Southern Vectis at www.islandbuses.info/ or +44 0871 200 2233 (bus times) / +44 01983 827000 (head office).
ACCESS TO PUBLIC AREAS (Displays, exhibits, rides etc)
CAFETERIA / RESTAURANT
This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.
|Opening (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* Monday to Saturday opening times are dependent on services.
Sunday the Church is open for services. Please see the website for details. www.newportminster.org