Hovertravel is the fastest ferry service between Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight and is the world’s only commercial passenger hovercraft service. The thrill of flying on a cushion of air just 1.5 metres above the waves at speeds of up to 45 knots is an exhilarating experience. When the hovercraft swings round to glide from the beach to the sea, the smooth transition is unlike any other boat or ship.
Once onboard the passenger cabin is bright and spacious and the large picture windows give great views of the Solent, including a huge variety of marine traffic to watch plus a couple of historic forts built in the late 1800s.
The speedy hovercraft takes just 10 minutes to cross between Ryde and Southsea (Portsmouth) and transports passengers from shore to shore with no need for piers or pontoons. It is literally a case of being on the vessel for a few minutes before you are on the island and are getting off again.
There are large car parks at both terminals, bus connections and a convenient Hoverbus service from Portsmouth train stations direct to Southsea Terminal. Ryde Terminal is next to Ryde’s Train and Bus station. Hovertravel is part of the national rail network which means you can buy a single, day return or period return fare from any train station, self-service ticket machine or rail appointed travel agent which includes your hovercraft travel between Portsmouth & Isle of Wight, and Hoverbus transfer, plus your onward travel on the Isle of Wight (just ensure your tickets state ‘Ryde Hoverport’ or route ‘via Hovertravel’).
Hovertravel is also travel partners with National Express and Southern Vectis which means you can buy an all-inclusive ticket from anywhere in the UK to any destination on the Isle of Wight including your Hovertravel service between Ryde.
Hovertravel operates every 30 mins between April & October, and hourly during the Winter months (November – March) carrying up to 78 passengers per crossing. All passengers will receive help with luggage from friendly staff. Passengers who require that extra bit of help can take advantage of the HoverCare Scheme. The hovercraft can carry one wheelchair per crossing and allows pets to travel with their owners. Up to four bikes are allowed, subject to other freight and luggage and are provided on a first come- first served basis.
Hovertravel also offer great value on all-inclusive travel & attractions tickets and offer discounts for groups of over 8 persons. For more information, please visit their website.
Whether you have already planned your visit and are looking for a unique transportation experience or want to travel to the Island on the fastest ferry service, a flight with Hovertravel will add a unique memory to your trip.
- Accessible Lift - Not necessary in terminal, Wheelchair lift to craft.
- Text Message Facility
- Wheelchair user accessible
- Vending Facilities
Children & Infants
- Baby changing
- Air conditioning throughout
- Dogs admitted on a lead
- Groups welcome - Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to book for a group of 15 persons or more, to book and gain group travel discounts.
- Open all year round - Except Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
- Open on bank holidays - Except Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
- Prior Booking Recommended
- Toilets on Site
Parking & Transport
- Coach parking - Council operated Coach parking nearby.
- Secure cycle parking
- Educational Groups
- Information Point
Map & Directions
- Catch the hovercraft
- Visit Isle of Wight Award Green Star - Silver- Visit Isle Of Wight - 2019/20 2019
|Open New Year|
|Opening (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
* Please check www.hovertravel.com for full timetable, including for Bank holidays. Winter Services Opening Times may varyDates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change