AboutSt Boniface Old Church, Bonchurch, is one of the few medieval churches in England dedicated to this Saxon monk who died in 755. Originally from Devon, but later based at monastery at Nursling near Southampton, he helped spread Christianity in Germany and became Archbishop of Mainz.
The church is a tiny building with a nave and chancel of Norman origin. The chancel is essentially 13th century but some windows are late Medieval or Tudor and the studded south door may date from the 17th century. The Flemish wooden cross behind the altar is 17th century.
High up on the north wall of the nave are the remains of a wall paintings that are the only surviving example of Romanesque painting on the Island. The earliest and most complete appears to show parts of two draped figures, a tower-like feature, and swags of draperies decorated with stars. It has been dated to the early 12th century.
Percy Stone restored the church in 1923 and 1931.
Please note that Island churches may occasionally be closed or in use for services. Many are dependent on volunteers to stay open during the day.
**Text & Photo courtesy of Albany Associates - www.albany-ballard.co.uk
Map & Directions
|Opening (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
* Please note that Island churches may occasionally be closed or in use for services. Many are dependent on volunteers to stay open during the day.