Admission to the Museum is included with the English Heritage entrance fee to Carisbrooke Castle. The English Heritage website gives further details of current prices - http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/carisbrooke-castle/ Fr
Phone English Heritage on 01983 522107 for details of family tickets and group discounts.
Carisbrooke Castle Museum is the only public museum in the UK founded by a member of the Royal family and is an accredited local history museum run by an independent Charitable Trust.
The museum is located within Carisbrooke Castle, a medieval castle in the care of English Heritage. It was founded in 1898 by HRH Princess Beatrice, Queen Victoria’s youngest daughter, as a memorial to her husband, Prince Henry of Battenberg.
The Museum holds many important collections that is connected with the history of the Isle of Wight, including social history, medieval history, King Charles I, ecclesiastical history, costume, military history, photographs, paintings, decorative art, ephemera, and documents.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors - By arrangement with English Heritage, Blue Badge holders can park near Museum
- Ramp/Level Access - Lower Gallery of the Museum has level access
Children & Infants
- Family Friendly, Children Welcome - Hands-on items within the Lower Gallery
- All weather attraction
- Event Venue - Winter talks held at Museum. Ring 01983523112 for details
- Groups welcome
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Groups Accepted - Winter visits for Groups by arrangement.
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times - Researchers welcome all year round by arrangement. Free entry for use of Museum database and local history library.
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- French printed material - Brief Museum Guide available
- Japanese printed material - Brief Museum Guide available
- Indoor Attraction - Museum displays about the history of the Castle in the Lower gallery. Changing local history exhibitions in Upper Galleries. Local History Library available for researchers by prior arrangement.
- Educational Groups
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens - Outreach service for older people in the community. Telephone 01983523112 for more details.
Map & Directions
From East Cowes ferry, second exit at roundabout onto Well Road, A3021, A3054 to Newport.
From Fishbourne ferry, B3339 (Fishbourne lane), A3054 to Newport.
From Yarmouth ferry, A3054 to Newport.
Public Transport Directions
For further bus information please contact Southern Vectis at www.islandbuses.info/ or +44 01983 827000 (head office).
|Open (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* 1st April - 31st October: 10am - 4.45pm (daily).
1st November - 31st March: 10am - 3.45pm (weekends only). It's possible to arrange an exclusive group visit on a Tuesday. Call for more info - 01983 523112..
CLOSED: 24th Dec, 25th Dec, 26th Dec, 31st Dec and 1st Jan.