Admission to the Museum is included with the English Heritage entrance fee to Carisbrooke Castle. Please book your tickets in advance on the English Heritage website prior to your visit - www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/carisbrooke-castle/
The museum within Carisbrooke Castle is now open from Thursday to Monday, 11am - 3pm.
From the 1st November 2020 until Easter 2021 the museum will be open at weekends, 11am - 3pm.
Admission to the museum continues to be included with the English Heritage entrance fee to Carisbrooke Castle. Please book your tickets on the English Heritage website prior to your visit.
Within the museum there will be a limited amount of people allowed to enter at any one time. Please ensure you bring a face covering which will be required within the museum. A one-way system is in place and some areas have been closed as they are too small to facilitate the social distancing measures. This does include the exhibition of the Anglo Saxon Treasures of the Isle of Wight.
Please check the website for further information.
Carisbrooke Castle Museum is the only public museum in the UK founded by a member of the Royal family and is an accredited local history museum run by an independent Charitable Trust.
The museum is located within Carisbrooke Castle, a medieval castle in the care of English Heritage. It was founded in 1898 by HRH Princess Beatrice, Queen Victoria’s youngest daughter, as a memorial to her husband, Prince Henry of Battenberg.
The Museum holds many important collections that is connected with the history of the Isle of Wight, including social history, medieval history, King Charles I, ecclesiastical history, costume, military history, photographs, paintings, decorative art, ephemera, and documents.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors - By arrangement with English Heritage, Blue Badge holders can park near Museum
- Ramp/Level Access - Lower Gallery of the Museum has level access
Children & Infants
- Family Friendly, Children Welcome - Hands-on items within the Lower Gallery
- All weather attraction
- Event Venue - Winter talks held at Museum. Ring 01983523112 for details
- Groups welcome
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Groups Accepted - Winter visits for Groups by arrangement.
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times - Researchers welcome all year round by arrangement. Free entry for use of Museum database and local history library.
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- French printed material - Brief Museum Guide available
- Japanese printed material - Brief Museum Guide available
- Indoor Attraction - Museum displays about the history of the Castle in the Lower gallery. Changing local history exhibitions in Upper Galleries. Local History Library available for researchers by prior arrangement.
- Educational Groups
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens - Outreach service for older people in the community. Telephone 01983523112 for more details.
Map & Directions
From East Cowes ferry, second exit at roundabout onto Well Road, A3021, A3054 to Newport.
From Fishbourne ferry, B3339 (Fishbourne lane), A3054 to Newport.
From Yarmouth ferry, A3054 to Newport.
Public Transport Directions
For bus information please visit the Southern Vectis website - www.islandbuses.info/
|Open (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Oct 2020)|
|Winter Opening (1 Nov 2020 - 26 Mar 2021)|
* Please visit website for latest opening information - https://carisbrookecastlemuseum.org.uk/museum-re-opening/