Castle / Fort
Isle of Wight
Tel: +44 01983 760678
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult Ticket||£4.90 per ticket|
|Child Ticket||£2.90 per ticket|
|Concession Ticket||£4.40 per ticket|
|English Heritage Members||Free|
|Family Ticket||£12.70 per ticket|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
A Tudor Castle in a beautiful seaside town. Climb to the battlements and enjoy the very best views of sailing in the Solent. As you watch the yachts pass through the narrow channel between Yarmouth and the New Forest, you will understand why Henry VIII built this, his final fortress. Commanding the mouth of the Solent since 1547, Yarmouth was the first Arrow Head Castle in Britain. Picnic on the rampart lawns and enjoy magnificent views over the Solent.
DRIVE LESS SEE MORE EXPERIENCES:
A bus or bike trip to this petit but perfectly formed sea defence. Head up to the bowling lawn turret and aim old cannon at invading tourists as they bear down in iron clad ferries. By Bus take the Island Coaster or Route 7 bus from Newport, by bike take a tiny nibble of the Taste Round the Island Cycle Route just from Freshwater along the West Wight rail trail cycleway- a safe mostly off road route along a stunning estuary. Hire bikes from West Wight rentals in Yarmouth.
* Taste Round the Island Cycle Route page and map:
* Bus info - http://www.islandbuses.info/
* Wight Cycle Hire: http://www.visitisleofwight.co.uk/things-to-do/wight-cycle-hire-p155821
- Indoor Attraction
- No Smoking Attraction
- Outdoor Attraction
Parking & Transport
- On site parking close by
- Picnic area
- Dogs admitted on a lead
- Gift shop
- Open on bank holidays
Map & Directions
From East Cowes ferry, second exit at roundabout onto Well Road, A3021, A3054 to Newport, A3054 to Yarmouth.
From Fishbourne ferry, B3339 (Fishbourne lane), A3054 to Newport, A3054 to Yarmouth.
Public Transport Directions
Bus; Southern Vectis 7 from Newport.
Ferry: Wight link 0870 582 7744 ( Lymington – Yarmouth)
For further bus information please contact Southern Vectis at www.islandbuses.info/ or +44 0871 200 2233 (bus times) / +44 01983 827000 (head office).
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good87
- Trip Type:FamilyFab time with my 2 year oldMonday, 2nd October 2017What a great little gem. I recently visited with my 2 year old and we thoroughly enjoyed it. While there is not much to the castle there was lots for my son to play with and he loved running around... Read full review
- challisfamilychallisfamilyTrip Type:FamilyGreat castle and viewsFriday, 29th September 2017It is small but history and views make up for it. Its very unquie in it way and only need a hour at most. Also nice to watch ferry leave and arrive. Can easily miss entrance Read full review
- Martynjoly1Trip Type:Friends getawayNothing to seeFriday, 29th September 2017Visited there today with my mother and dog. Very disappointed as a waste of time. Virtually nothing to see inside and NOT suitable for wheelchair users, walking aids as very steep stairs and no lifts Read full review
|Open (30 Mar 2018 - 30 Sept 2018)|