Castle / Fort
Isle of Wight
Tel: +44 01983 760678
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult Ticket||£4.90 per ticket|
|Child Ticket||£2.90 per ticket|
|Concession Ticket||£4.40 per ticket|
|English Heritage Members||Free|
|Family Ticket||£12.70 per ticket|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
A Tudor Castle in a beautiful seaside town. Climb to the battlements and enjoy the very best views of sailing in the Solent. As you watch the yachts pass through the narrow channel between Yarmouth and the New Forest, you will understand why Henry VIII built this, his final fortress. Commanding the mouth of the Solent since 1547, Yarmouth was the first Arrow Head Castle in Britain. Picnic on the rampart lawns and enjoy magnificent views over the Solent.
DRIVE LESS SEE MORE EXPERIENCES:
A bus or bike trip to this petit but perfectly formed sea defence. Head up to the bowling lawn turret and aim old cannon at invading tourists as they bear down in iron clad ferries. By Bus take the Island Coaster or Route 7 bus from Newport, by bike take a tiny nibble of the Taste Round the Island Cycle Route just from Freshwater along the West Wight rail trail cycleway- a safe mostly off road route along a stunning estuary. Hire bikes from West Wight rentals in Yarmouth.
* Taste Round the Island Cycle Route page and map:
* Bus info - http://www.islandbuses.info/
* Wight Cycle Hire: http://www.visitisleofwight.co.uk/things-to-do/wight-cycle-hire-p155821
- Indoor Attraction
- No Smoking Attraction
- Outdoor Attraction
Parking & Transport
- On site parking close by
- Picnic area
- Dogs admitted on a lead
- Gift shop
- Open on bank holidays
Map & Directions
From East Cowes ferry, second exit at roundabout onto Well Road, A3021, A3054 to Newport, A3054 to Yarmouth.
From Fishbourne ferry, B3339 (Fishbourne lane), A3054 to Newport, A3054 to Yarmouth.
Public Transport Directions
Bus; Southern Vectis 7 from Newport.
Ferry: Wight link 0870 582 7744 ( Lymington – Yarmouth)
For further bus information please contact Southern Vectis at www.islandbuses.info/ or +44 0871 200 2233 (bus times) / +44 01983 827000 (head office).
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good86
- ccws50Ferndown, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesBasic fortification with great viewsWednesday, 20th September 2017Just a quick visit whilst waiting for the Lymington Ferry. One of Henry VIII's many coastal fortifications to fend off any attack from the French. Not really a castle as such but more a fort being... Read full review
- 771colinLuton, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesSmall site with character and views over Yarmouth marinaWednesday, 20th September 2017Been to Yarmouth many times and not been to the castle.there was a freindly welcome with handy tip from the cashier.the building is well maintained and has plenty of character.there are great views... Read full review
- Kirsty BSouthampton, England, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesInteresting quick visitMonday, 18th September 2017Of historical interest and a nice quick thing to do. You will only need around 2 hours maximum to visit but the outer area gives views out to see and you can watch the ferry come in. Also see if you... Read full review
|Summer 2017 (1 Apr 2017 - 30 Sept 2017)|
|October 2017 (1 Oct 2017 - 30 Oct 2017)|
|Winter 2016/2018 (31 Oct 2017 - 31 Mar 2018)|