Initially rebuilt by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert because they thought it wasn’t suitable to house the remains of Princess Elizabeth, Charles 1’s daughter, Prince Albert laid the foundation stone for the new church in 1854.
Queen Victoria also commissioned a marble memorial to Princess Elizabeth by sculptor Carlo Marochetti, which was presented to the church in 1857.
This location forms part of the Victoria’s Island Trail. Discover more of Queen Victoria’s beloved Isle of Wight by visiting other locations on the trail. For more information go to www.visitisleofwight.co.uk/victoriasisland
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Induction Loop System - For services in the main body of the church
- Ramp/Level Access
- Wheelchair user accessible - Only small areas are not wheelchair accessible.
- On-Site cafe/restaurant - Coffee shop serving World Coffees, Teas and light refreshments
- Outdoor eating area
- Refreshments Available
- Vegetarians catered for
Children & Infants
- Family Friendly, Children Welcome
- All weather attraction
- Dogs admitted on a lead
- Event Venue - Exhibitions and concerts held throughout the year as well as regular services. See the website for details, www.newportminster.org
- Groups welcome
- Guided tours by arrangement - Please contact the Parish Office, 01983 821961 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Licensed for weddings & ceremonies
- Live Music - Regular concerts are held including the Island Jazz Festival
- Open all year round
- Open Christmas - For services
- Open on bank holidays
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Special Opening for Groups by Arrangement - Please contact the Parish Office, 01983 821961 or email email@example.com
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - There is a multi-storey car park opposite the square and on street parking.
- Approx length of visit - 1 hour
- Groups Accepted
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times - Please contact the Parish Office, 01983 821961 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- No Smoking Attraction
- Cyclists welcome
- Educational Groups
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
Map & Directions
Road DirectionsFrom East Cowes ferry, second exit at roundabout onto Well Road, A3021, A3054 to Newport.
From Fishbourne ferry, B3339 (Fishbourne lane), A3054 to Newport.
From Yarmouth ferry, A3054 to Newport.
Public Transport Directions
From West Cowes Red Jet Hi-speed ferry: No. 1 bus route to Newport.
From Ryde Catamaran/Hovertravel: No. 9 bus route to Newport.
From Yarmouth ferry: No. 7 bus route to Newport.
For further bus information please contact Southern Vectis at www.islandbuses.info/ or +44 01983 827000 (head office).
|Opening (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
* Monday to Saturday opening times are dependent on services.
Sunday the Church is open for services. Please see the website for details. www.newportminster.org