Visit our working studio at Chessell Pottery Barns where you can have a go at painting your own hand made English pottery. You don’t have to be an artist as we have our own unique range of decorating sponges that are very easy to use and produce fantastic results.
Pottery shapes to decorate start from £7.50 – and there is a studio fee per person (not per item) of £6.99 which covers a brief demonstration; all materials used, including paints and our whole range of sponges, as well as glazing and firing.
Pottery is ready a few days later to collect – or it can be posted home to you. Decorating a special piece of pottery is a real occasion, whether you’re celebrating, holidaying or just relaxing.
To complete your visit, enjoy a delicious Cream Tea in the Chessell Café which also serves quality barista coffee, light lunches and a fabulous range of cakes and treats. Then take a moment to browse our beautiful Gift Barn which stocks our own Chessell-ware, made entirely on site, as well as a large range of Emma Bridgewater Pottery, fair-trade and wooden toys, cards, gifts and local artists’ work.
Looking for somewhere to stay in the area? We also offer self-catering accommodation within our grounds at Old Stables cottage, part of our beautifully converted barns.
* No entrance fee * Family friendly café * Baby changing & high chairs * Disabled access *Dogs welcome* Call for details of themed activities each school holiday*
* My Isle of Wight Award - Best Cuppa and Slice of Something Nice 2016
* My Isle of Wight Award - Best Place to get Crafty 2013.
* My Isle of Wight Award - Best Cream/Afternoon Tea 2013 & 2014.
- In countryside
- Indoor Attraction
- Disabled persons toilet
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access - Car Park is a gravel surface. Ramps or level access throughout the ground floor.
Children & Infants
- Baby changing
- Children's Meals
- Family Friendly, Children Welcome
- Highchair(s) available
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free)
- Catering for groups
- On-Site cafe/restaurant
- Outdoor eating area
- Take away food
- Vegetarians catered for
- Delta accepted
- Maestro Accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Visa accepted
- All weather attraction
- Dogs welcome
- Garden / Grounds for visitors use
- Gift shop
- Groups welcome
- Licensed for alcohol
- Open on bank holidays
- Special Opening for Groups by Arrangement
- Stag and hen parties welcome
- Educational Groups
- Family Fun
- Marketed Towards Children
- Marketed Towards Families
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
Map & Directions
From East Cowes ferry, second exit at roundabout onto Well Road, A3021, A3054 to Newport, town centre, Pyle Street, B3323 to Carisbrooke, B3401 pass Calbourne Mill to Shalcombe, turn left onto Brook Road pass Shalcombe Manor to Brook.
From Fishbourne ferry, B3339 (Fishbourne lane), A3054 to Newport, town centre, Pyle Street, B3323 to Carisbrooke, B3401 pass Calbourne Mill to Shalcombe, turn left onto Brook Road pass Shalcombe Manor to Brook.
From Yarmouth ferry, A3054 to Totland, A3055 to Freshwater, B3399 to Brook/Brighstone, at Shalcombe turn right onto Brook Road pass Shalcombe Manor to Brook.
Public Transport Directions
From West Cowes Red Jet Hi-speed ferry: No. 1 bus route to Newport and change to No. 7 to Brook
From Ryde Catamaran/Hovertravel: No 9 to Newport and change to No. 7 to Brook
From Yarmouth ferry: No 7 to Brook.
For further bus information please contact Southern Vectis at www.islandbuses.info/ or +44 0871 200 2233 (bus times) / +44 01983 827000 (head office).
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good64
- LLondonerLondonTrip Type:FamilyGreat fun and great teaSaturday, 22nd July 2017This is a wonderful paint your own pottery and cafe. Lots of space and they take bookings. Very helpful staff who gave a great intro explaining how to get the best from the painting. Masses of... Read full review
- PinkPantherInspectorTrip Type:FamilyGreat cream teaSaturday, 22nd July 2017Very pleasant place to spend a couple of hours. A good shop, activities for children decorating their own pottery (collect 5 days later), excellent cream teas with scones. Worth a visit. Read full review
- FamilyHuntBishops Stortford, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyVisit on cream teas reviewsFriday, 21st July 2017Returned after more cycling and calorie burning and slightly disappointed. Scones lacked flavour and content and we had coffee and to much froth and not enough coffee! Staff were great but we had... Read full review
|Opening (27 May 2017 - 29 Oct 2017)|
* Daily from 9.30 am - 5.30 pm.
(Closed on Mondays except Bank Holidays & School Holidays)