Corona Virus Update
Following Government Guidelines we are now open from the 4th July following the Coronavirus Pandemic.
So we are taking bookings for July to October/November, as we have only had relatively few cases on the Island.
Hopefully if everyone continues to abide by the 5 rules on Covid when you are at home, so when it comes to your stay with us as the Country will be in a much healthier position.
However when booking we advise all our guests to read our current T & C’s, as they still apply at this worrying time.
We also strongly advise to make sure you take out Holiday Insurance when booking either with our Hotel Guest First Insurance or your own company.
We ask you also to check out ferries, buses & train information as well as any attractions, restaurants you wish to visit for their opening days, times and restrictions before you arrive and also look at www.visitisleofwight.co.uk for more information.
Finally please read our own COVID 19 Advice for Guests below for our changes to our procedures.
We are endeavouring to make our premises as safe as we can for you!
So we look forward to welcoming you when you do come and dont forget your slippers!
Kind Regards & Keep Safe Keith & Christine
COVID 19 Advice to Guests
In keeping with the Government and Tourism regulations and procedures we have implemented the following changes for your safety and those of your fellow guests:
Arrivals will be staggered from 3:00pm last check in 9:00pm, we can no longer accept guests who arrive prior to this time.
We can only check in one room at a time and ask guests for their cooperation and patience with multiple arrivals, you may remain in your car or sit in the bar lounge whilst still maintaining a safe distance.
Please use the Sanitiser supplied before you touch the door/bell or knocker and on return from your daily activities.
Please remove all shoes on entry.
On entry please ensure that you wear your protective masks until you are safety checked into your room.
Check out time is 10:00am, if you require an early check out please advise us before hand so that we can arrange this in a safe manner with limited contact to other guests.
Please bring your keys down with you. Again, please ensure you are wearing face masks until you are safely outside of the building.
Please wash your hands before leaving your room and use the sanitiser before entry to dining room.
This will be held in the dining room as before, (we will not be serving meals in the rooms) however, we will be running 2 sessions and have one entry point and one exit point to maintain a safe social distancing between guests and ourselves.
We kindly ask all guests to adhere to their nominated breakfast time.
Session one will be at 08:00 and we ask you to finish by 08:45.
Session two will be at 09:00 and we ask you to finish by 09:45.
As with our normal pre ordered breakfast system will have also added your choice of juice and or fruit, which we will place on your table prior to your entry.
Breakfast Cereals will remain in individual boxes for you to take one of your choice to your table.
Please take your jam or preserves to your table also. Tea & Coffee will be served to your table as normal.
This is will ensure guests are not getting up, queueing & not social distancing during breakfast service.
Our dining room has been set giving one full table free between each room, please do not rearrange, where possible we will seat guests of up to 4 together, space permitting.
Unfortunately, the bar will remain closed due to social distancing however you may use the lounge at your own discretion, masks will be required whilst using communal areas.
The dry lounge on the first floor will be open to limited number of guests.
Please be mindful and considerate to your fellow guests.
As this is the area for which smokers can use, again please be considerate to other guests who may wish to use this and keep a safe distance. Please use the gate to enter and do not walk through the lounge/dining room.
This will be maintained at our usual standard but with added care taken on touch points.
All guests to please vacate the building from 11:00am to 2:00pm to allow safe access to your rooms limiting contact with guests walking around, if you are still in your room, entry and cleaning will not be permitted.
Personal belongings that are strewn around the room can not be touched or moved therefore those areas (including the bed) will not be cleaned.
We will also where possible have 1 to 2 days room rest after guests have departed to deep clean them before your stay.
If you need to speak to us at any time during your stay please refrain from using the lounge area as a walk through and entering our private quarters.
You can call us on our landline: 01983 862333 to discuss your issue or we can then come to your room.
If at anytime during your stay with us you begin to feel unwell and show signs of the virus:, please remain in your room and call us so that we can take the necessary actions.
Please take notice of the signage that is in place for your own safety.
If we can do anything else to make your stay safe with us, just ask?
Hello to All our potential Guests,
The Swiss Cottage Shanklin Isle of Wight was built in 1866 is an attractive, 4 Star Silver & Award Winning, friendly traditional seaside guest house accommodation, run by owners Keith and Christine Beckett, a home from home where guests meet as strangers and leave as friends.
We are located in a quiet road with its own off street parking, The Swiss Cottage is ideally situated within couple of minute’s easy walk to all the amenities Shanklin has to offer, the picturesque Old Village, Sandy Beach, Train & Bus Station making an ideal base for seeing the entire Island.
We cater for B & B or Room only and guests can enjoy their breakfast in our light, clean and airy modernised dining room.
Make your selection from the daily breakfast menu with a choice of various options. We operate on a Pre Order system whereby you order your breakfast the evening before, your breakfast order form will be left in your room for you to complete and leave on the Bar in the evening. This aids for a more relaxed and efficient breakfast service which we have used this system since 2007 and has been met by our guests successfully.
Over the past few years we have tailored our Breakfast Service to our guest’s needs, which is served between 8.30am to 9.30am as the most suitable for all.
Of an evening you may just want to relax and have a drink from our well stocked discounted bar or catch up on the TV or your emails.
The Swiss Cottage has a range of well equipped en-suite rooms, including two family suites, five doubles and three twins, (we have one Family/Double & one other Double on the Ground Floor) we also cater for single occupancy to take care of everyone's needs. Our modernised rooms are cleaned to a high standard and are continually being added to and improved from decor to bedding, to make your stay a more memorable experience.
So come and enjoy our high standards of hospitality and service and relax in the comfortable and clean surroundings after a long days sightseeing.
So, what are you waiting for, give us a ring and we look forward to meeting you soon but don’t forget your slippers
We are just an email or telephone call away.
Keith & Christine
Some Key Points;
* For all our Special offers and our Last Minute Offers, check out our website or call us directly to get your further discount and savings:
* Sorry we do not take one or two nights, as we specialize in short breaks or a week’s holiday.
* Reduced rates for Senior Citizens (65+) (except during our High Season) 10% off the prices shown, when booked directly with us*
* Special rates for children 10-15 when sharing with at least 1 Adult in family suites 20% reduction, call us to apply discount*
* Minimum child age of 10 years accepted*
* Additional £11 for a Twin En Suite & £22 for a Double En Suite per night for Single Supplement during our High Season*
* Additional 10% Supplement for All Bank Holidays and Festival Weekends*
* Discounted Car Ferry Bookings available with Red Funnel via Southampton to East Cowes & also with Wightlink from Lymington & Portsmouth*
* Courtesy transport by arrangement - to & from Shanklin Railway Station *
* Pick-up & drop-off service to ferry terminals at a minimal cost *
* 6/7 Marked Car Parking Bays on the forecourt*
* Free WI FI & Sky Channels in our Guest Lounge*
* Personal Drinks License to sell alcohol to our guests at our small discounted bar when the bar is open between 8-10pm*
* Complimentary wine, flowers or chocolates for those celebrating a special occasion whilst here with us (when booked directly with us)*
Resident proprietors: Keith & Christine Beckett
Quality Assurance Designator = Guest Accommodation
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- GreenLeader Gold
- Very Good25
- paulcN5017LODifficult times but still a great place to stayMonday, 5th October 2020Even with the difficult times we are all going through Keith and Christine made sure the Swiss cottage was as safe as it could be, from the staggered breakfasts to the cleanliness of the hotel it was... Read full review
- R1678FGpeterrLovely place for a relaxing breakSaturday, 10th October 2020Keith and Christine are most hospitable hosts who made us very welcome. They always have a spotless and extremely well-run establishment, and in addition they have made the appropriate changes... Read full review
- chrispK3454EYLike going back 30 years but in a good way!Thursday, 22nd October 2020Maybe I’ve been jaded by an endless diet of chain hotels, but when my teenage daughter asked (in the sense of “demanded” to see a friend in the Isle of Wight, I decided that it was time to go back to... Read full review
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|1 x Family Suite with En-suite Shower Room - Comprising of Two Rooms for 2 Adults in a Double & 1 Child aged 10 to 15 years in the annex on a sofa bed - Please Phone us for your families requirements?||from £115.00 to £126.00 per room per night (breakfast included)|
|1 x Family Suite with En-suite Shower Room - Comprising of Two Rooms for 2 Adults in a Double & 2 Children aged 10 to 15 years in a twin room - Please phone us for your families requirements?||from £148.00 to £162.00 per room per night (breakfast included)|
|1 x Twin Room with Sole use of a Private Bathroom - Please phone us directly to receive 10% discount for Senior Citizens and any Last Minute Offers?||from £37.00 to £41.00 per person per night (breakfast included)|
|2 x Twin Bedrooms with En-suite Bath or Shower Room - Please phone us directly to receive 10% Discount for Senior Citizens in Mid Season or our 4 Nights for the Price of 3 Offer in March to May and October/November||from £41.00 to £45.00 per person per night (breakfast included)|
|5 x Double Bedrooms with En-suite Bath or Shower Room - Please phone us directly to receive 10% Discount for Senior Citizens in Mid Season or our 4 Nights for the Price of 3 Offer in March to May and October/November||from £41.00 to £45.00 per person per night (breakfast included)|
*We offer all our rooms on a per person basis.
If staying on your own there is a single supplement of £11 for a Twin En Suite & £22 for a Double En Suite per night for the room in our High Season. (However please note that we do not have any small single rooms but are all normal/large double or twin sized rooms)
Senior Citizens over the age of 65 will receive a 10% reduction from our Adults rates in our Mid Season.
Extra 10% supplement for all Bank Holidays & Festival Weekends.
Adults/Seniors - call us to check out our Short Break Special Offers on '4 nights for the price of 3' on B & B basis in March, April, May or Oct/Nov for Only £123 per person or £246 per couple or £200 or £323 to include the Car Ferry!.
Or come and stay longer and try our '7 Nights Break' on Bed & Breakfast in June/July & Sept for £287 for Mid Season & £315 for High Season.
Adult & Senior Prices range from £37 to £50 based on Bed & Breakfast depending on the season
Sorry we do not have the facilities to cater for Children under the age of 10 years (no cots/high chairs)
- Accessible Bedrooms - Please have a look at our Accessibility Statement for further guidance on our web site
- No dogs (Guide dogs accepted)
- Ramp / Level Access - Level Access to all areas
- Bar - We now operate an honesty bar when we are not around so you can enjoy a drink when you want one!
- Cater for vegetarians - Please notify us by indicating this on your booking form
- Early breakfast available
- Full liquor licence
- Packed lunches by arrangement - At Extra Cost
- Serve breakfast - Try our range of Cereals, Yoghurts, Juices and Fruit before going onto your Full English Lighter option or Kippers, followed by Tea/Coffee and Toast to set you up for the day!
- Special diets catered for
- Vegetarians catered for - Please advise us when booking
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - Minimum child age of 10 years accepted.
- Children's Meals - Separate Children's menu is available for smaller portions
- Children's videos/DVDs available - In another TV Lounge upstairs
- Family Friendly, Children Welcome - Two Family Suites with separate bedrooms within the suite for parents and children in either bunk beds or twin beds for your privacy
- 24-hour minimum vacancy between guests
- 2m distancing in place - or 1m + in all areas
- Advance booking essential - We do not take door knockers so all our guests book in advance
- All linens sanitized in high-temperature wash - By Professional Laundry Company
- Capacity limit - 50% of guests in any room at any one time!
- Clear signage - Please observe signs on doors and floors
- Contactless check-in - We shall just show you to your room on arrival.
- Contactless check-out - Please bring your Key down when you leave
- COVID-19 measures in place - See our Advice of changes on the website also
- COVID-19 refund and cancellation policy in place - Cancellation & Refund policy in place in case Covid 19 surfaces again!
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed - We have completed our Risk Assessment and have made the property as safe as we can for you.
- Deep cleaning between visitors - Extra cleaning will be in place after changeovers
- Face mask essential (not provided) - Please protect yourself and other guests and us by wearing your mask in all communal areas
- Face masks required for staff in public areas - Owners will be wearing them
- Facilities must be booked
- Floors clearly marked for social distancing - Follow the signs
- Food available during COVID-19 restrictions - Breakfast Only No food to be eaten in rooms
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff - Hand Sanitizer by front door bell for arrival and also another for entry into Dining Room with sanitizer wipes also.
- Individually wrapped toiletries - Toiletries are there for your use but if you don't use them don't touch them.
- Meal times must be booked - Breakfast Service split into two sessions at 8am or 9am to abide by Social distancing
- One way system - In & Out system in the Dining Room
- Open now - From 4th July
- Outside seating - Patio area & Umbrella
- Regular temperature checks for staff - We have no staff but we the Owners are checked!
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas - This will be done every day around 11am and again at 5pm & 11pm
- Socially distanced spaced seating - We are leaving one table empty in the Dining Room so we only have 50% capacity at one sitting
- Staff required to regularly wash hands - Already in place in our Kitchen for the Owners
- Beach / Coast within walking distance - Beach/Coast less than 2 minutes walk away
- Beach/Coast 5 min walking distance
- Central heating throughout - Operated at around 19-21 degrees for your comfort
- Children aged 12yrs+ welcome - Over 10 years of age
- Ferry discount available - Red Funnel & Wight Services available at discounted prices!
- Garden/patio for guests' use - To sit out in and unwind with a cool drink from the bar!
- Groups welcome
- Ironing facilities
- LGBT Friendly
- Licensed for alcohol
- Night Keys
- No Pets
- No smoking in dining area
- Open on bank holidays - 15% Extra Charge for Bank Holidays/Festivals Weekends ie £6 Extra pppn
- Patio/Terrace for guests use
- Prior Booking Recommended - Due to Occupancy Rates of over 80%
- Radio in lounge
- Residents lounge open all day
- Separate guests' lounge
- Single Sex groups welcome
- Wireless Internet Access - Free Wi Fi Access
- Arrangements for riding / pony trekking
- Eating Out Within Walking Distance - Numerous local Restaurants within easy walking distance in Shanklin
- Fitness facilities close by
- Golf Course close by
- Swimming Pool close by
Parking & Transport
- Bus stop within walking distance - No 2 & 3 Bus stops less than 5 minutes walk away to go to Newport or Ryde
- Courtesy Transport by arrangement - Courtesy Transport to Shanklin Railway & Bus Station
- Courtesy transport to and from airport
- Free parking - St Georges Road is a Free parking road
- Off-road parking - 6 marked bays on our Forecourt
- On site parking
- Railway station within walking distance - Less than 10 minute walk away
- BACS Accepted
- Cash Accepted
- Cheques accepted
- Special group rates - Discounted Rates for Groups of 10 and above. Payment by Cash Cheque or Free Bank Transfe
- Country house - Old Victorian House built in 1866
- No smoking
- Non smoking establishment
Room / Unit Features
- All rooms non-smoking
- Baths some rooms
- CD Player all rooms
- CD Player in all bedrooms
- Colour Television all rooms
- Colour television in all bedrooms
- Digital TV
- Digital TV All Rooms
- Drying facilities
- DVD player all rooms
- DVD Player in all bedrooms
- Ground floor bedrooms available - Two Double rooms and a family suite
- Ground Floor Room(s)
- Hairdryer all rooms
- Hairdryer in all bedrooms
- Internet access all rooms
- Radio all rooms
- Radio in all bedrooms
- Satellite TV - In our bar lounge
- Shaver Point/s
- Showers all rooms
- Tea & coffee making facilities in all bedrooms - Plus Hot Chocolate and Horlicks, Herbal and fruit Teas as well as Decaff! Tea & Coffee
- Tea and coffee making all rooms
- Trouser press some rooms
- Video some rooms
- Aim to attract conferences and business meetings - Low season
- Baggage delivery for walkers
- Cyclists welcome
- Marketed as gay friendly
- Marketed as green/environmentally friendly - We aim to be Enviromentally friendly so that we ask guests that linen is changed once a week towels every 3 days this helps and saves on frequent washing and energy use.
- Short breaks available - Stay for 4 Nights for the price of 3 on B & B basis in April, May or October and get one night free for only £120. Short Break stays are welcome the rest of the year
- Special provisions for lone female travellers - Safe, secure rooms and local area for lone travellers to be at ease.
- Walkers Welcome
Travel & Trade
- Commission/net rates apply
- Group discounts available
- Min group size numeric qualifier - Ten to Thirty Children
- Packed lunches available
- Wi-fi available
Room / Unit Features: 1 x Family Suite with En-suite Shower Room - Comprising of Two Rooms for 2 Adults in a Double & 1 Child aged 10 to 15 years in the annex on a sofa bed - Please Phone us for your families requirements?
- Size in square meters - Room 1 Family suite is approx 7.32 x 2.74 m Room 8 Family Suite is approx 4.88 x 5.79 m
Payment Methods: 1 x Family Suite with En-suite Shower Room - Comprising of Two Rooms for 2 Adults in a Double & 2 Children aged 10 to 15 years in a twin room - Please phone us for your families requirements?
- BACS Accepted
- Size in square meters - Room 1 Family suite is approx 7.32 x 2.74 m Room 8 Family Suite is approx 4.88 x 5.79 m
Room / Unit Features: 1 x Twin Room with Sole use of a Private Bathroom - Please phone us directly to receive 10% discount for Senior Citizens and any Last Minute Offers?
- Size in square meters - Although this is our smallest room only 10 sqm, it is let out as a single or a twin and a hence our cheapest room.
Payment Methods: 2 x Twin Bedrooms with En-suite Bath or Shower Room - Please phone us directly to receive 10% Discount for Senior Citizens in Mid Season or our 4 Nights for the Price of 3 Offer in March to May and October/November
- BACS Accepted
- Size in square meters - Room 11 is approx 3.66 x 3.66 m Room 6 is approx 3.05 x 5.18 m
Payment Methods: 5 x Double Bedrooms with En-suite Bath or Shower Room - Please phone us directly to receive 10% Discount for Senior Citizens in Mid Season or our 4 Nights for the Price of 3 Offer in March to May and October/November
- BACS Accepted
- Size in square meters - All our doubles vary in size and shape but are generally all in excess of 13 to 17 sqm
Map & Directions
Road DirectionsFrom East Cowes ferry, second exit at roundabout onto Well Road, A3021, A3054 to Newport, A3020 to Sandown, A3020 to Shanklin.
From Fishbourne ferry, B3339 (Fishbourne lane), A3054 to Ryde (Esplanade), straight along the Esplanade to the boating lake, follow the road round to the right onto A3055 to Sandown, A3055 to Shanklin.
From Yarmouth ferry, A3054 to Newport, A3020 to Sandown, A3020 to Shanklin.
Please note Island Roads have now started a monumental 7 year plan to resurface every road/change lighting, pathways etc on the Island, so you may find some diversions in place until the year 2020.
Public Transport Directions
For bus information please visit www.islandbuses.info/
ACCESS TO PUBLIC AREAS
RESTAURANT / BREAKFAST / DINING ROOM
BEDROOMS AND BATHROOMS: GENERAL
This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.
- 4 Visit England Stars Guest Accommodation
- Visit England Awards - Annual Silver 2019
- Green Tourism Business Scheme - Green Business Gold 2014
- Green Island Awards - Green Island Award - Gold 2008
- Visit England Awards - Breakfast 2019
- Regional and Miscellaneous - TripAdvisor - Certificate of Excellence 2018
- Regional and Miscellaneous - TripAdvisor - Travellers' Choice 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous - TripAdvisor - GreenLeaders Gold Level 2014
- Tourism South East Award - 2014/15 Awards for Excellence 2014
- Regional and Miscellaneous - Ferry Discount Available 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous - TripAdvisor Green Leaders Award 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous - TripAdvisor - GreenLeaders Gold 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous - Trip Advisor Travellers’ Choice award 2019
- Regional and Miscellaneous - Tourism South East Member 2018 2018
- Regional and Miscellaneous - Tourism South East Member 2019 2019
- Visit Isle of Wight Award Green Star - Silver- Visit Isle Of Wight - 2019/20 2019
- Regional and Miscellaneous - TripAdvisor - Certificate of Excellence - 2019 2019
- Visit Isle of Wight Award Green Star - Silver - Visit Isle Of Wight - 2020/21 2020
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2020
|Open (29 Feb 2020 - 27 Nov 2020)|
|Closed (28 Nov 2020 - 26 Feb 2021)|
* We are open most of the year but will obviously close out of main season if we do not have any guests.
However Groups are more than welcome out of the main season for local weddings, parties, bands & entertainers etc who are appearing locally