Corona Virus Update Following Government Guidelines -
We are now closed from November 2020 due to the 2nd & 3rd National Lockdown until the 17th May 2021 but we are still taking bookings for the rest of 2021 season, as we hope that Covid will be behind us by then.
Early booking is advisable to enjoy our clean air & the lovely sunshine on our fabulous beaches and have some lazy days on the Island.
However when booking we advise all our guests to read our current T & C’s, as they still apply once we officially re-open.
2020/21 has been an unprecedented year but ‘We are Good to Go’ as we have everything in place to make your stay safe & secure, with sanitizers, cleaning & housekeeping & thorough airing & cleaning of your room before your stay, entry/exit doors to communal areas & two breakfast sittings, so if everyone abides by social distancing & Tier & National restrictions & have your two vaccinations during these dark times, we will all be ok when it comes to your stay with us.
We also advise you to read our Covid T & C's which are forever changing with new Government legislation and Advice for Guests at the bottom of our home page but the main point is that you will still need two vaccinations & we will require proof of this, otherwise no holiday!
For any bookings that may be affected by Coronavirus in the future, as a gesture of goodwill, if you are not allowed to travel, we will endeavour to help you rebook with us later in this Year or as a last resort for up to 1 calendar year from your original staycation date or your deposit back.
We also strongly advise to make sure you take out Holiday Insurance when booking either with our Hotel Guest First Insurance or your own company.
We ask you also to check out ferries, buses & train information as well as any attractions, restaurants you wish to visit for their opening times/days and any Vaccination or Covid Test restrictions before you arrive.
We look forward to welcoming you when you do come.
Keep Safe Keith & Christine
The Swiss Cottage is a multi award-winning guest house in Shanklin, Isle of Wight, providing high standards of hospitality and service, so if you are looking for a hotel or a place to stay for your weeks holiday or short break of 3 days or more in the seaside town of Shanklin, our four-star silver guest accommodation is suitable for all requirements.
We provide quality bed and breakfast rooms (February to November) and Room Only which includes traditional home cooked breakfasts for guests to enjoy in our dining room.
The holiday accommodation at Swiss Cottage has the high standards of a Hotel but with the friendly, personal touch of a family-run B&B run by Keith & Christine Beckett.
The Swiss Cottage guest house is a old Victorian building built in 1866 and is on a quiet street with its own off street parking in the heart of Shanklin, close to all the local amenities and is a short flat stroll away from our glorious Beach & Esplanade.
We have given the property a tasteful modern face lift to provide superb En-suite bedrooms and all the attention to detail that will make your stay really special & memorable.
So please take time to look at our other pages for further information and our Last Minute Offers before you contact us to book your holiday break to see it all for yourself.
The Swiss Cottage has been described as 'A home from home where guests meet as strangers and leave as friends', so what are you waiting for, give us a ring or email us as we look forward to meeting you soon but don’t forget your slippers.
The Swiss Cottage has been continually voted as one of the top properties in Shanklin, as well as one of the best places to stay in the whole of the Isle of Wight by Trip Advisor reviewers for the past 10 years and are only one of the few still rated 5 out 5 with one of the highest satisfaction rates at 96%.
Our attention to detail and all our little extra touches puts us a cut above the rest and our many Awards & recognitions are gratefully appreciated for our efforts.
The modern and tastefully decorated 7/8 En-suite rooms, two of which are on the ground floor for accessible needs, offer flexible accommodation for up to 16 guests.
All rooms have flat screen digital TV/DVD for you to watch over 100 channels or listen to some music on your CD/radio alarm clock.
We have also installed USB plugs in one of the sockets per room.
We provide each room with an extensive range of complimentary beverages, fresh milk, mini fridge, fan and a hairdryer in your room plus a trouser press, iron and ironing board and shoe polish equipment are on the landing for you to use. We do not have black out curtains but all front facing rooms have extra blinds.
We are a completely no smoking & no e-cigarettes establishment and have been for years.
We have an outside patio area that you can used but not during breakfast times whilst other guests are still eating.
We do not allow pets to stay but do allow guide dogs. We do have 2 small dogs, Gnasher & Tammy and 1 cat Daisy who no doubt will come and say hello to you.
We are continuing with the split breakfast services to maintain the safe social distancing. We will open the doors for Breakfast, on entry you have a choice of 7 different cereals, bowl of mixed berries, yoghurts and fruit juice, (Porridge on request) everything you need will be placed on your designated tables. The 2 Services are: 8am & 9am.
All of our breakfasts are pre-ordered the day before and are freshly prepared ready to serve you, which makes for a faster more efficient service and to ensures that you can enjoy the whole day ahead. (local produce when available from local butchers, grocers and farms).
You can order a variety of excellent breakfasts from our Full 7 item English breakfast or just try the lighter option of up to 2 items or Croissant with Scrambled Egg & Smoked Salmon, Egg/Bacon/Sausage sandwiches or a tasty smoked double Kipper & bread, veggie options, accompanied by a variety of fruit, herbal, decaf & black teas or decaff, granulated, cafetiere coffees or something different like Latte or Cappuccino or Hot Chocolate plus white/brown/wholemeal toast as required with your choice of 3 jams, 4 marmalade’s, honey, marmite or golden syrup to prepare you for the day ahead.
Teenagers have their own breakfast menu which is a smaller variation of the Adults or they can upgrade to the full Adult menu with a £2 supplement.
Some Key Points;
* For all our Special offers and our Last Minute Offers, check out our website or call us directly to get your further discount and savings.
* Sorry we do not take one or two nights, as we specialize in short breaks or a week’s holiday.
* Reduced rates for Senior Citizens (65+) (except during our High Season) 10% off the prices shown, when booked directly with us*
* Special rates for teenagers 13-15 when sharing with at least 1 Adult in a Family Suite 15% reduction, call us to apply discount*
* Minimum child age of 13 years accepted*
* Additional £11 for a Twin En Suite & £22 for a Double En Suite per night for Single Supplement during our High Season*
* Additional 10% Supplement for All Bank Holidays and Festival Weekends & School Holidays*
* Discounted Car Ferry Bookings available with Red Funnel via Southampton to East Cowes & also with Wightlink from Lymington & Portsmouth*
* Courtesy transport by arrangement - to & from Shanklin Railway Station *
* Pick-up & drop-off service to ferry terminals at a minimal cost *
* 6/7 Marked Car Parking Bays on the forecourt*
* Free WI FI & Sky Channels in our Guest Lounge*
* Personal Drinks License to sell alcohol to our guests at our small discounted bar when the bar is open between 8-10pm*
* Complimentary wine, flowers or chocolates for those celebrating a special occasion whilst here with us (when booked directly with us)*
COVID 19 Advice to Guests
In keeping with the Government and Tourism regulations and procedures we have implemented the following changes for your safety and those of your fellow guests:
Arrivals will be staggered from 3:00pm last check in 7:00pm, we can no longer accept guests who arrive prior to this time. Later check in fees apply at £5 per room per hour.
We can only check in one room at a time and ask guests for their cooperation and patience with multiple arrivals, you may remain in your car or sit in the bar lounge whilst still maintaining a safe distance.
Please use the Sanitiser supplied before you touch the door/bell or knocker and on return from your daily activities.
Please remove all shoes on entry.
On entry please ensure that you wear your protective masks until you are safety checked into your room.
Check out time is 10:00am, if you require an early check out please advise us before hand so that we can arrange this in a safe manner with limited contact to other guests. Late Check out fees applies at £5 per room per hour.
Please bring your keys down with you. Again, please ensure you are wearing face masks until you are safely outside of the building.
Please wash your hands before leaving your room and use the sanitiser before entry to dining room.
This will be held in the dining room as before, (we will not be serving meals in the rooms) however, we will be running 2 sessions and have one entry point and one exit point to maintain a safe social distancing between guests and ourselves.
We kindly ask all guests to adhere to their nominated breakfast time.
Session one will be at 08:00 and we ask you to finish by 08:55.
Session two will be at 09:00 and we ask you to finish by 09:55.
As with our normal pre ordered breakfast system will have also added your choice of juice and or fruit, which we will place on your table prior to your entry.
Breakfast Cereals will remain in individual boxes for you to take one of your choice to your table.
Please take your jam or preserves to your table also. Tea & Coffee will be served to your table as normal.
This is will ensure guests are not getting up, queueing & not social distancing during breakfast service.
Our dining room has been set giving one full table free between each room, please do not rearrange, where possible we will seat guests of up to 4 together, space permitting.
Unfortunately, the bar will remain closed due to social distancing however you may use the lounge at your own discretion, masks will be required whilst using communal areas.
The dry lounge on the first floor will be open to limited number of guests.
Please be mindful and considerate to your fellow guests.
As this is the area for which smokers can use, again please be considerate to other guests who may wish to use this and keep a safe distance. Please use the gate to enter and do not walk through the lounge/dining room.
This will be maintained at our usual standard but with added care taken on touch points.
All guests to please vacate the building from 11:00am to 2:00pm to allow safe access to your rooms limiting contact with guests walking around, if you are still in your room, entry and cleaning will not be permitted.
Personal belongings that are strewn around the room can not be touched or moved therefore those areas (including the bed) will not be cleaned.
We will also where possible have 1 to 2 days room rest after guests have departed to deep clean them before your stay.
If you need to speak to us at any time during your stay please refrain from using the lounge area as a walk through and entering our private quarters.
You can call us on our landline: 01983 862333 to discuss your issue or we can then come to your room.
If at anytime during your stay with us you begin to feel unwell and show signs of the virus:, please remain in your room and call us so that we can take the necessary actions.
Please take notice of the signage that is in place for your own safety.
If we can do anything else to make your stay safe with us, just ask.
Resident proprietors: Keith & Christine Beckett
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- GreenLeader Gold
- Very Good26
- vanessaj546Sittingbourne, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesSwiss cottage holidayTuesday, 10th November 2020Fantastic 4th stay with keith and chris at swiss cottage, couldnt be more helpful through these strange times. Very well organised with everything and always have a good laugh. Breakfast is fab as... Read full review
- 702lindajBillericayHoliday at Swiss CottageWednesday, 11th November 2020Lovely clean hotel. The breakfast was amazing. Well positioned for all the local interesting amenities. Friendly, helpful, manager,Keith helped with local information. Outdoor and indoor rest rooms... Read full review
- WTWilson25Lincoln, United KingdomReturn Visit to Swiss CottageSunday, 22nd November 2020This was our 5th stay here .We had originally booked for June 2020 but due to covid had to rearrange to later in the year. Keith and Christine happily changed dates for us and amended our ferry... Read full review
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|1 x Family Suite with En-suite Shower Room - Comprising of Two Rooms for 1 or 2 Adults in a Double & 1 Teenager aged 13 to 15 years in the twin room adjacent - Please Phone us for your families requirements?||from £117.00 to £129.00 per room per night (breakfast included)|
|1 x Family Suite with En-suite Shower Room - Comprising of Two Rooms for 1 or 2 Adults in a Double & 2 Teenagers aged 13 to 15 years in a twin room - Please phone us for your families requirements?||from £152.00 to £168.00 per room per night (breakfast included)|
|1 x Twin Room with Sole use of a Private Bathroom - Please phone us directly to receive 10% discount for Senior Citizens and any Last Minute Offers?||from £37.00 to £41.00 per person per night (breakfast included)|
|2 x Twin Bedrooms with En-suite Bath or Shower Room - Please phone us directly to receive 10% Discount for Senior Citizens in Mid Season or our 4 Nights for the Price of 3 Offer in March to May and October/November||from £41.00 to £45.00 per person per night (breakfast included)|
|5 x Double Bedrooms with En-suite Bath or Shower Room - Please phone us directly to receive 10% Discount for Senior Citizens in Mid Season or our 4 Nights for the Price of 3 Offer in March to May and October/November||from £41.00 to £45.00 per person per night (breakfast included)|
*We offer all our rooms on a per person basis.
If staying on your own there is a single supplement of £11 for a Twin En Suite & £22 for a Double En Suite per night for the room in our High Season. (However please note that we do not have any small single rooms but are all normal/large double or twin sized rooms)
Senior Citizens over the age of 65 will receive a 10% reduction from our Adults rates in our Mid Season.
Extra 10% supplement for all Bank Holidays & Festival Weekends & School Holidays.
Adults/Seniors - call us to check out our Short Break Special Offers on '4 nights for the price of 3' on B & B basis in February, March, April, May or Oct/Nov for Only £123 per person or £246 per couple or £203 or £326 to include the Car Ferry Package!.
Or come and stay longer and try our '7 Nights Break' on Bed & Breakfast in June/July & Sept for £287 for Mid Season & £315 for High Season.
Adult & Senior Prices range from £37 to £50 based on Bed & Breakfast depending on the season
Sorry we do not have the facilities to cater for Children under the age of 13 years (no cots/high chairs)
Teenager's receive a 15% discount from Adult prices
- Accessible Bedrooms - Please have a look at our Accessibility Statement for further guidance on our web site
- No dogs (Guide dogs accepted)
- Ramp / Level Access - Level Access to all areas
- Bar - We now operate an honesty bar when we are not around so you can enjoy a drink when you want one!
- Cater for vegetarians - Please notify us by indicating this on your booking form
- Early breakfast available
- Full liquor licence
- Packed lunches by arrangement - At Extra Cost
- Serve breakfast - Try our range of Cereals, Yoghurts, Juices and Fruit before going onto your Full English Lighter option or Kippers, followed by Tea/Coffee and Toast to set you up for the day!
- Special diets catered for
- Vegetarians catered for - Please advise us when booking
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - Minimum child age of 13 years accepted.
- Children's Meals - Separate Children's menu is available for smaller portions - Can upgrade for £2 per day
- Children's videos/DVDs available - In another TV Lounge upstairs
- Family Friendly, Children Welcome - One Family Suite with separate bedrooms within the suite for 1 or 2 parents and 1 or 2 children in twin beds for your privacy
- 24-hour minimum vacancy between guests
- 2m distancing in place - or 1m + in all areas
- Advance booking essential - We do not take door knockers so all our guests book in advance
- All linens sanitized in high-temperature wash - By Professional Laundry Company
- Capacity limit - 50% of guests in any room at any one time!
- Clear signage - Please observe signs on doors and floors
- Contactless check-in - We shall just show you to your room on arrival.
- Contactless check-out - Please bring your Key down when you leave
- COVID-19 measures in place - See our Advice of changes on the website also
- COVID-19 refund and cancellation policy in place - Cancellation & Refund policy in place in case Covid 19 surfaces again!
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed - We have completed our Risk Assessment and have made the property as safe as we can for you.
- Deep cleaning between visitors - Extra cleaning will be in place after changeovers
- Face mask essential (not provided) - Please protect yourself and other guests and us by wearing your mask in all communal areas
- Face masks required for staff in public areas - Owners will be wearing them
- Facilities must be booked
- Floors clearly marked for social distancing - Follow the signs
- Food available during COVID-19 restrictions - Breakfast Only No food to be eaten in rooms
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff - Hand Sanitizer by front door bell for arrival and also another for entry into Dining Room with sanitizer wipes also.
- Individually wrapped toiletries - Toiletries are there for your use but if you don't use them don't touch them.
- Meal times must be booked - Breakfast Service split into two sessions at 8am or 9am to abide by Social distancing
- One way system - In & Out system in the Dining Room
- Open now - Now Closed during November 2020 & from January for the National Lockdown but plan to re open next year February 2021.
- Outside seating - Patio area & Umbrella
- Regular temperature checks for staff - We have no staff but we the Owners are checked!
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas - This will be done every day around 11am and again at 5pm & 11pm
- Socially distanced spaced seating - We are leaving one table empty in the Dining Room so we only have 50% capacity at one sitting
- Staff required to regularly wash hands - Already in place in our Kitchen for the Owners
- Beach / Coast within walking distance - Beach/Coast less than 2 minutes walk away
- Beach/Coast 5 min walking distance
- Central heating throughout - Operated at around 19-21 degrees for your comfort
- Children aged 12yrs+ welcome - Over 12 years of age
- Ferry discount available - Red Funnel & Wight Services available at discounted prices!
- Garden/patio for guests' use - To sit out in and unwind with a cool drink from the bar!
- Groups welcome
- Ironing facilities
- LGBT Friendly
- Licensed for alcohol
- Night Keys
- No Pets
- No smoking in dining area
- Open on bank holidays - 10% Extra Charge for Bank Holidays/Festivals Weekends & School terms
- Patio/Terrace for guests use
- Prior Booking Recommended - Due to Occupancy Rates of over 80%
- Radio in lounge
- Residents lounge open all day
- Separate guests' lounge
- Single Sex groups welcome
- Wireless Internet Access - Free Wi Fi Access
- Arrangements for riding / pony trekking
- Eating Out Within Walking Distance - Numerous local Restaurants within easy walking distance in Shanklin
- Fitness facilities close by
- Golf Course close by
- Swimming Pool close by
Parking & Transport
- Bus stop within walking distance - No 2 & 3 Bus stops less than 5 minutes walk away to go to Newport or Ryde
- Courtesy Transport by arrangement - Courtesy Transport to Shanklin Railway & Bus Station
- Courtesy transport to and from airport
- Free parking - St Georges Road is a Free parking road
- Off-road parking - 6 marked bays on our Forecourt
- On site parking
- Railway station within walking distance - Less than 10 minute walk away
- BACS Accepted
- Cash Accepted
- Cheques accepted
- Special group rates - Discounted Rates for Groups of 10 and above. Payment by Cash Cheque or Free Bank Transfer
- Country house - Old Victorian House built in 1866
- No smoking
- Non smoking establishment
Room / Unit Features
- All rooms non-smoking
- Baths some rooms
- CD Player all rooms
- CD Player in all bedrooms
- Colour Television all rooms
- Colour television in all bedrooms
- Digital TV
- Digital TV All Rooms
- Drying facilities
- DVD player all rooms
- DVD Player in all bedrooms
- Ground floor bedrooms available - Two Double rooms and a family suite
- Ground Floor Room(s)
- Hairdryer all rooms
- Hairdryer in all bedrooms
- Internet access all rooms
- Radio all rooms
- Radio in all bedrooms
- Satellite TV - In our bar lounge
- Shaver Point/s
- Showers all rooms
- Tea & coffee making facilities in all bedrooms - Plus Hot Chocolate and Horlicks, Herbal and fruit Teas as well as Decaff! Tea & Coffee
- Tea and coffee making all rooms
- Trouser press some rooms
- Video some rooms
- Aim to attract conferences and business meetings - Low season
- Baggage delivery for walkers
- Cyclists welcome
- Marketed as gay friendly
- Marketed as green/environmentally friendly - We aim to be Environmentally friendly so that we ask guests that linen is changed once a week towels every 3 days this helps and saves on frequent washing and energy use.
- Short breaks available - Adults - Stay for 4 Nights for the price of 3 on B & B basis in February, March, April, May or October & November and get one night free for only £123. Short Break stays are welcome the rest of the year on full price.
- Special provisions for lone female travellers - Safe, secure rooms and local area for lone travellers to be at ease.
- Walkers Welcome
Travel & Trade
- Commission/net rates apply
- Group discounts available
- Min group size numeric qualifier - Ten to Thirty Children
- Packed lunches available
- Wi-fi available
Room / Unit Features: 1 x Family Suite with En-suite Shower Room - Comprising of Two Rooms for 1 or 2 Adults in a Double & 1 Teenager aged 13 to 15 years in the twin room adjacent - Please Phone us for your families requirements?
- Size in square meters - Room 1 Family suite is approx 7.32 x 2.74 m Room 8 Family Suite is approx 4.88 x 5.79 m
Payment Methods: 1 x Family Suite with En-suite Shower Room - Comprising of Two Rooms for 1 or 2 Adults in a Double & 2 Teenagers aged 13 to 15 years in a twin room - Please phone us for your families requirements?
- BACS Accepted
- Size in square meters - Room 1 Family suite is approx 7.32 x 2.74 m Room 8 Family Suite is approx 4.88 x 5.79 m
Room / Unit Features: 1 x Twin Room with Sole use of a Private Bathroom - Please phone us directly to receive 10% discount for Senior Citizens and any Last Minute Offers?
- Size in square meters - Although this is our smallest room only 10 sqm, it is let out as a single or a twin and a hence our cheapest room.
Payment Methods: 2 x Twin Bedrooms with En-suite Bath or Shower Room - Please phone us directly to receive 10% Discount for Senior Citizens in Mid Season or our 4 Nights for the Price of 3 Offer in March to May and October/November
- BACS Accepted
- Size in square meters - Room 11 is approx 3.66 x 3.66 m Room 6 is approx 3.05 x 5.18 m
Payment Methods: 5 x Double Bedrooms with En-suite Bath or Shower Room - Please phone us directly to receive 10% Discount for Senior Citizens in Mid Season or our 4 Nights for the Price of 3 Offer in March to May and October/November
- BACS Accepted
- Size in square meters - All our doubles vary in size and shape but are generally all in excess of 13 to 17 sqm
Map & Directions
Road DirectionsFrom East Cowes ferry, second exit at roundabout onto Well Road, A3021, A3054 to Newport, A3020 to Sandown, A3020 to Shanklin.
From Fishbourne ferry, B3339 (Fishbourne lane), A3054 to Ryde (Esplanade), straight along the Esplanade to the boating lake, follow the road round to the right onto A3055 to Sandown, A3055 to Shanklin.
From Yarmouth ferry, A3054 to Newport, A3020 to Sandown, A3020 to Shanklin.
Please note Island Roads have now started a monumental 7 year plan to resurface every road/change lighting, pathways etc on the Island, so you may find some diversions in place until the year 2020.
Public Transport Directions
For bus information please visit www.islandbuses.info/
ACCESS TO PUBLIC AREAS
RESTAURANT / BREAKFAST / DINING ROOM
BEDROOMS AND BATHROOMS: GENERAL
This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.
- 4 Visit England Stars Guest Accommodation
- Visit England Awards - Annual Silver 2020
- Green Tourism Business Scheme - Green Business Gold 2014
- Green Island Awards - Green Island Award - Gold 2008
- Visit England Awards - Breakfast 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous - TripAdvisor - Certificate of Excellence 2018
- Regional and Miscellaneous - TripAdvisor - Travellers' Choice 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous - TripAdvisor - GreenLeaders Gold Level 2014
- Tourism South East Award - 2014/15 Awards for Excellence 2014
- Regional and Miscellaneous - Ferry Discount Available 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous - TripAdvisor Green Leaders Award 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous - TripAdvisor - GreenLeaders Gold 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous - Trip Advisor Travellers’ Choice award 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous - Tourism South East Member 2018 2018
- Regional and Miscellaneous - Tourism South East Member 2019 2019
- Visit Isle of Wight Award Green Star - Silver- Visit Isle Of Wight - 2019/20 2019
- Regional and Miscellaneous - TripAdvisor - Certificate of Excellence - 2019 2019
- Regional and Miscellaneous - Tourism South East Member 2020 2020
- Visit Isle of Wight Award Green Star - Silver - Visit Isle Of Wight - 2020/21 2020
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2021
|Open (30 Jan 2021 - 26 Nov 2021)|
|Closed (4 Dec 2021 - 29 Jan 2022)|
* We are open most of the year but will obviously close out of main season if we do not have any guests.
However Groups are more than welcome out of the main season for local weddings, parties, bands & entertainers etc who are appearing locally