Hello to All our potential Guests,
To try to help you and save you time, don't waste your time by looking elsewhere, as we do not use comparison Hotel Websites but only use word of mouth, great reviews, comments and Visit Isle of Wight Tourism site as our advertising window!
Well with the weather has certainly picked up of late and we have had a lot of walkers, cyclists and golfers booked in for April & May, so why not start to look ahead to the lovely sunshine this year and some lazy days on the Island?
So browse through our website and we hope you like what you see and then just get in touch and we will simply have a chat and see when we can get you booked in.
Lots of our Guests have already booked as we were 20% booked overall for 2019.
A brief summary for 2018 was as follows;
March 36%, April 47%, May 49%, June 77%, July 78%, August 89% & Sept 65%.
SO WHY NOT CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE FOR ANY SPECIAL OFFERS & LAST MINUTE AVAILABILITY PAGE WITH DISCOUNTED ROOMS AND PRICES!
WHY NOT TRY A SHORT BREAK ON OUR EARLY & END OF SEASON SPECIAL OFFER OF '4 NIGHTS FOR THE PRICE OF 3' ON BED & BREAKFAST BASIS FOR 2 PEOPLE FOR ONLY £240 OR £314 INCLUDING ANY CAR FERRY.
IF YOU ARE A SINGLE TRAVELER ITS ONLY £120 OR £194 INCL THE CAR FERRY FOR THIS 4 NIGHT OFFER.
REMEMBER THAT CHILDREN OVER THE AGE OF 10 YEARS, GET APPROX 20% DISCOUNT FROM OUR STANDARD PRICES, SO IF YOU WANT TO TREAT THE KIDS OVER THE HALF TERM HOLIDAYS IN A LARGE FAMILY SUITE WITH TWO ROOMS FOR TWO ADULTS AND ONE CHILD WILL BE £112 PER NIGHT OR A FAMILY OF FOUR £144 PER NIGHT AND THIS INCLUDES OUR SCRUMPTIOUS BREAKFAST!
AND WE NEVER FORGET OUR SENIOR CITIZENS, AS WE ARE ONLY ONE OF A FEW OWNERS THAT ARE STILL OFFERING YOU A FURTHER APPROX 10% DISCOUNT FROM OUR STANDARD WEEKS PRICES ON B & B FOR £36 PER NIGHT SO FOR ONLY £252 PER PERSON IN MARCH, APRIL, MAY, JUNE & OCTOBER/NOVEMBER! (OR £280 IN HIGH SEASON)
ADULTS FOR A WEEK IS ONLY SLIGHTLY MORE AT £280 PER PERSON OR £40 PER NIGHT IN MARCH, APRIL, MAY, JUNE & OCTOBER/NOVEMBER. (OR £44 PN OR £308 PW IN HIGH SEASON)
PLEASE NOTE THAT AT BANK HOLIDAYS & FESTIVALS OUR PRICES ARE ONLY 10% HIGHER.
WE CHALLENGE YOU TO BEAT OUR PRICE WITH A SIMILAR ESTABLISHMENT!
A CAR FERRY FOR A WEEKS STAY IN MID SEASON IS APPROXIMATELY £88 TO £94 WITH RED FUNNEL OR WIGHTLINK IN APRIL, MAY, JUNE & £114 FOR HIGH SEASON (PLEASE NOTE, SATURDAY TRAVEL IS ALOT HIGHER DURING SCHOOL HOLIDAYS)
FOR A SHORT BREAK IN MID SEASON ITS ONLY £74.
SO HURRY AS THE ROOMS ARE GOING FAST, SO PLEASE LOOK AT OUR OWN WEBSITE FOR OUR LAST MINUTE AVAILABILTY ON OUR ROOMS.
We are pleased to report that last year we were one of the busiest on the Island with occupancy rates, as everyone is saying good things about us, so don't hang about to long!
So, if you want to stay at one of the Top Award Winning Establishments on the Island, at a reasonable cost, look no further!
Just have a look at all our pages on our site, please go to our Tariff page and check out our amazing prices before you send us your enquiry to check what dates/rooms we have left?
Once you contact us, we shall out of courtesy hold the room/s for you for 7-10 days, so you can send us back our Holiday Package Forms & deposit/payment etc.
We are just a booking email or telephone call away.
Speak to you soon.
Keith & Christine.
The Swiss Cottage Shanklin Isle of Wight was built in 1866 is an attractive, 4 Star Silver Award, friendly traditional seaside guest house accommodation, under the personal supervision of Keith & Christine Beckett, a home from home where guests meet as strangers and leave as friends.
It is the place to stay as it is conveniently situated in a quiet road with its own off street parking, The Swiss Cottage is within two minutes easy walk to all the amenities Shanklin has to offer, the picturesque Old Village & Beach and is an ideal base for seeing the entire Island.
We cater for B & B or Room only and guests can enjoy their meals in our light, clean and airy modernised dining room.
Make your selection from the daily breakfast menu with a choice of various options. Your breakfast order form will be left in your room, so needs to be completed by you by around 6pm, to assist Christine buy, prepare and cook it herself, which all then gives you a much more efficient service for the day ahead.
Over the past few years we have tailored our Breakfast Service to our guests needs, which is served between 8.30am to 9.30am as the most suitable for all.
Of an evening you may just want to relax and have a drink from our well stocked discounted bar or catch up on the TV..
The Swiss Cottage has a range of well equipped en-suite rooms, including two family suites, five doubles and three twins, (we have one Family/Double & one other Double on the Ground Floor) we also offer single occupancy to take care of everyone's needs. Our modernised rooms are continually being added to and improved on every year from decor to bedding, to make your stay a more memorable experience.
So come and enjoy our high standards of hospitality and service and relax in the comfortable and clean surroundings after a long days sightseeing.
This has all resulted in us being awarded the much sort after and prestigious Silver Award every years since 2010 to 2018 for High Quality of Accommodation and Customer Service, which only a handful of establishments have been awarded on the Isle Of Wight.
Since 2014 to 2018 we have been Awarded the Visit England's Breakfast Award for our High Quality of Service, Variety and Produce which again only shows our high standards that we aim to achieve.
We have been rated as one of the Top Five places to stay in Shanklin and also on the whole of the Isle Of Wight every year since 2010 to 2018 by our Guests on the Trip Advisor Review website.
We also have been nominated three times now for the Top 25 Hotels in the United Kingdom Awards by Trip Advisor and we are proud to have won 12th place for 2011/12 Travellers' Choice Award for Families/Friends category & won 10th place for 2013/14 Travellers' Choice Awards for Bargain/Small Hotel category and more recently again 11th place in 2016/17 which has kept us in the Top 1% of all properties in the whole of the United Kingdom and one of the Top Small Hotels on the Island.
We are constantly in 1st Place for Best Value for Money Hotel, 1st Place for Best Green Hotel, 2nd Place for Luxury Hotel, 4th Place for being Near/On the Beach, 4th Place for being Most Romantic and 5th Place for Family categories since 2010 when we first registered with them to current day 2017.
We have received A Certificate of Excellence for the past 7 years running from 2012 to 2018 for maintaining one of the highest ratings of 5 out of 5 throughout the year and one of the highest satisfaction rates at 96% and over 340 Excellent Reviews and have been recognized in the Top 1% on the Island, South Coast and in the whole of the UK.
We have also in April 2014 and in February 2016 and again in March 2017 been Awarded The Green Leaders Gold Award for being in the Top 1% of the UK for being Environmentally Friendly with our Towel, Linen, Lighting, Cleanliness and Recycling Policy we operate in our establishment, so we would like to thank all those guests who do abide by our simple helpful guidelines to maintain the property with us.
Lastly because of all of the above we have in October 2014, been awarded Highly Commended for the Best B & B/Guest Accommodation of the Year in the Beautiful South Tourism Awards and represented the Island in this category at the Awards in December 2014 which we are very proud to have finished 4th Place and received good publicity on IOW Radio & the County Press which is always welcomed.
We are also actively marketing with our Local Visit Isle of Wight, Tourism South East and Shanklin Hotel Association.
However we would like to keep it this way, so can we please ask you to respect our home and the effort we have put into maintaining the property for your enjoyment, We have liaised and been inspected by the Hotel Inspectors from Visit England every year and they checked out our guidelines/rules/requests and have passed every single one as good constructive housekeeping, so all we ask is that you please help us to help you by keeping your rooms tidy, open your curtains, be environmentally friendly by turning off showers/heaters & lamps etc when you go out, straighten your beds for us so we can make them, please rinse your cups out, clear up any spillages or notify us and don't leave wet towels on the floor or bed and so on. If these simple guidelines are too much for you to appreciate then we ask that you kindly stay somewhere else!
Although you are paying for our service, please remember that you are staying in someone else's house as our guest and we ask you to help us to help you as you would at home!
We are also realistic and know you cannot please everyone all of the time and there is always just one or two people who are out to try to spoil all our hard work with a bad and silly picky review or say we have too many rules/guidelines but when other guests usually weigh up all the reviews we can't help those grumpy guests who do not appreciate our own views and concepts that we have adopted at our Business! All we ask is that you do us the courtesy to speak to us whilst on your stay so we may be given the opportunity to rectify the smallest concerns?
Please remember that there is no longer a standard 1980's B & B Guest House that you turned up and did what you liked, as we all now have to abide by all the many rules to do with Health & Safety, Food Hygiene, Environmental Issues & Licensing Laws etc!
So don't take our word for it, have a look yourself and make your own mind up as we receive loads of excellent reviews from our 600+ guests every year who all can't be wrong!
Overall we try to make your stay a pleasurable and enjoyable one as all we do is to try to think of things that we would like/expect if we stayed somewhere!
So, what are you waiting for give us a ring and we look forward to meeting you soon but don’t forget your slippers!
Sorry we do not accept young children under the age of 10
Children may upgrade to a Adults breakfast at an extra charge of £4.
* For all our Special offers, call us directly to get your further discount and savings:
- Stay for 7 nights or more on either B & B all year for our best discounted prices.
- Stay 4 nights on B & B basis during March, April, May or October/November and get ONE NIGHT FREE saving of 25%.
Sorry we do not take one or two nights as we specialize in short or week breaks.
* Complimentary wine, flowers or chocolates for those celebrating a special occasion whilst here with us*
* Reduced rates of 10% for Senior Citizens (65+), except during our School Summer Holidays (20TH July to 30TH August) off the prices shown, so call us direct to claim your discount*
* Additional £23 per night Single Supplement if occupying a Double or Twin En Suite during our School Summer Holidays*
* Additional 10% Supplement for All Bank Holidays and Festival Weekends*
* Special rates for children 10-15 when sharing with Adults in family suites 20% reduction, call us to apply discount*
* Minimum child age of 10 years accepted*
* Discounted Car Ferry Bookings available with Red Funnel via Southampton to East Cowes & also with Wightlink from Lymington & Portsmouth*
* Courtesy transport by arrangement - to & from Shanklin Railway Station *
* Pick-up & drop-off service to ferry terminals at minimal cost *
* 6/7 Marked Car Parking Bays on the forecourt*
* Free WI FI & Sky Packages (speak to the Owners for the code)*
* DVD Library & Performing Rights Society/PPL/Concierge DVD/MPLC certificates to let our guests use these facilities*
* Personal Drinks Licence to sell alcohol to our guests at our small discounted bar when the bar is open between 9-11pm*
Resident proprietors: Keith & Christine Beckett
Quality Assurance Designator = Guest Accommodation
- Traveler's Choice
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
- GreenLeader Gold
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good24
- mark wPortsmouth, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesAmazing stay, great locationSunday, 16th September 2018This was our first stay at Swiss Cottage. Great location, short stroll to Old Village, town centre, beach, train station and bus station. Lovely room with lots of lovely finishing touches and... Read full review
- alanwS5605NQPeterborough, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelAnother great holidayMonday, 24th September 2018I have just returned from my 15th stay at Swiss Cottage in Shanklin, you could say that this is my 2nd home as that is what it feels like each time I go. The owners Keith and Christine are the... Read full review
- Linda SHayling Island, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayTop Guest HouseSaturday, 20th October 2018My friend & I have just returned from a 3 night stay and we have to say it was perfect. Christine & Keith were very welcoming and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were very... Read full review
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|1 x Family Suite with En-suite Shower Room - Comprising of Two Rooms for 2 Adults & 1 Child aged 10 to 15 years and Please Phone us for any Last Minute Offers?||from £112.00 to £124.00 per room per night (breakfast included)|
|1 x Family Suite with En-suite Shower Room - Comprising of Two Rooms for 2 Adults & 2 Children aged 10 to 15 years - Please phone us for any Last Minute Offers?||from £144.00 to £160.00 per room per night (breakfast included)|
|1 x Twin with Sole use of a Private Bathroom - Please phone us directly to receive 10% discount for Senior Citizens and any Last Minute Offers?||from £36.00 to £40.00 per person per night (breakfast included)|
|2 x Twins with En-suite Bath or Shower Room - Please phone us directly to receive 10% Discount for Senior Citizens and any Last Minutes Offers like our 4 Nights for the Price of 3 in March to May and October/November||from £40.00 to £44.00 per person per night (breakfast included)|
|5 x Doubles with En-suite Bath or Shower Room - Please phone us directly to receive 10% Discount for Senior Citizens and any Last Minute Offers like our 4 Nights for the Price of 3 in March to May and October/November||from £40.00 to £44.00 per person per night (breakfast included)|
*We offer all our rooms on a per person basis.
If staying on your own there is a single supplement of £23 per night for the room in our School Holidays/High Season. (However please note that we do not have any small single rooms but are all normal/large double or twin sized rooms)
Senior Citizens over the age of 65 will receive a 10% reduction from our Adults rates.
Extra 10% supplement for all Bank Holidays & Festival Weekends.
Adults/Seniors - call us to check out our Short Break Special Offers on '4 nights for 3' on B & B basis in March,April, May or Oct/Nov for Only £120 per person or £240 per couple or £194 or £314 to include the Car Ferry!.
Or come and stay longer and try our '7 Nights Break' on Bed & Breakfast in June/July & Sept for £280 for Mid Season & £308 for High Season.
Adult & Senior Prices range from £36 to £48 based on Bed & Breakfast depending on the season
Sorry we do not have the facilities to cater for Children under the age of 10 years (no cots/high chairs )
- Accessible Bedrooms - Please have a look at our Accessibility Statement for further guidance on our web site
- No dogs (Guide dogs accepted)
- Ramp / Level Access - Level Access to all areas
- Bar - Bar opens at 6pm just before dinner service and then re-opens again at 9pm
- Cater for vegetarians - Please notify us by indicating this on your booking form
- Early breakfast available
- Evening meal available on request
- Full liquor licence
- Packed lunches by arrangement
- Restaurant - Evening Meals served to the Guests during June July & Sept.
- Serve breakfast - Try our range of Cereals, Yoghurts, Juices and Fruit before going onto your Full English Lighter option or Kippers, followed by Tea/Coffee and Toast to set you up for the day!
- Special diets catered for
- Vegetarians catered for - Please advise us when booking
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - Minimum child age of 10 years accepted.
- Children's Meals - Separate Children menu is available or smaller adult portions as required
- Children's videos/DVDs available - In another TV Lounge upstairs
- Family Friendly, Children Welcome - Two Family Suites with separate bedrooms within the suite for parents and children in either bunk beds or twin beds for your privacy
- Beach / Coast within walking distance - Beach/Coast less than 2 minutes walk away
- Beach/Coast 5 min walking distance
- Central heating throughout - Operated at around 19-21 degrees for your comfort
- Children aged 12yrs+ welcome - Over 10 years of age
- Ferry inclusive/ferries can be arranged - Red Funnel & Wight Services available at discounted prices!
- Garden/patio for guests' use - To sit out in and unwind with a cool drink from the bar!
- Groups welcome
- Ironing facilities
- LGBT Friendly
- Licensed for alcohol
- Night Keys
- No Pets
- No smoking in dining area
- Open on bank holidays - 15% Extra Charge for Bank Holidays/Festivals Weekends ie £6 Extra pppn
- Patio/Terrace for guests use
- Prior Booking Recommended - Due to Occupancy Rates of over 80%
- Radio in lounge
- Residents lounge open all day
- Separate guests' lounge
- Single Sex groups welcome
- Wireless Internet Access - Free Wi Fi Access
- Arrangements for riding / pony trekking
- Eating Out Within Walking Distance - Numerous local Restaurants within easy walking distance in Shanklin
- Fitness facilities close by
- Golf Course close by
- Swimming Pool close by
Parking & Transport
- Bus stop within walking distance - No 2 & 3 Bus stops less than 5 minutes walk away to go to Newport or Ryde
- Courtesy Transport by arrangement - Courtesy Transport to Shanklin Railway & Bus Station
- Courtesy transport to and from airport
- Free parking - St Georges Road is a Free parking road
- Off-road parking - 6 marked bays on our Forecourt
- On site parking
- Railway station within walking distance - Less than 10 minute walk away
- BACS Accepted
- Cash Accepted
- Cheques accepted
- Special group rates - Discounted Rates for Groups of 10 and above. Payment by Cash Cheque or Free Bank Transfe
- Country house - Old Victorian House built in 1866
- No smoking
- Non smoking establishment
Room / Unit Features
- All rooms non-smoking
- Baths some rooms
- CD Player all rooms
- CD Player in all bedrooms
- Colour Television all rooms
- Colour television in all bedrooms
- Digital TV
- Digital TV All Rooms
- Drying facilities
- DVD player all rooms
- DVD Player in all bedrooms
- Ground floor bedrooms available - Two Double rooms and a family suite
- Ground Floor Room(s)
- Hairdryer all rooms
- Hairdryer in all bedrooms
- Internet access all rooms
- Radio all rooms
- Radio in all bedrooms
- Satellite TV - In our bar lounge
- Shaver Point/s
- Showers all rooms
- Tea & coffee making facilities in all bedrooms - Plus Hot Chocolate and Horlicks, Herbal and fruit Teas as well as Decaff! Tea & Coffee
- Tea and coffee making all rooms
- Trouser press some rooms
- Video some rooms
- Aim to attract conferences and business meetings - Low season
- Baggage delivery for walkers
- Cyclists welcome
- Marketed as gay friendly
- Marketed as green/environmentally friendly - We aim to be Enviromentally friendly so that we ask guests that linen is changed once a week towels every 3 days this helps and saves on frequent washing and energy use.
- Short breaks available - Stay for 4 Nights for the price of 3 on B & B basis in April, May or October and get one night free for only £120. Short Break stays are welcome the rest of the year
- Special provisions for lone female travellers - Safe, secure rooms and local area for lone travellers to be at ease.
- Walkers Welcome
Travel & Trade
- Commission/net rates apply
- Group discounts available
- Min group size numeric qualifier - Ten to Thirty Children
- Packed lunches available
- Wi-fi available
Room / Unit Features: 1 x Family Suite with En-suite Shower Room - Comprising of Two Rooms for 2 Adults & 1 Child aged 10 to 15 years and Please Phone us for any Last Minute Offers?
- Size in square meters - Room 1 Family suite is approx 7.32 x 2.74 m Room 8 Family Suite is approx 4.88 x 5.79 m
Payment Methods: 1 x Family Suite with En-suite Shower Room - Comprising of Two Rooms for 2 Adults & 2 Children aged 10 to 15 years - Please phone us for any Last Minute Offers?
- BACS Accepted
- Size in square meters - Room 1 Family suite is approx 7.32 x 2.74 m Room 8 Family Suite is approx 4.88 x 5.79 m
Room / Unit Features: 1 x Twin with Sole use of a Private Bathroom - Please phone us directly to receive 10% discount for Senior Citizens and any Last Minute Offers?
- Size in square meters - Although this is our smallest room only 10 sqm, it is let out as a single or a twin and a hence our cheapest room.
Payment Methods: 2 x Twins with En-suite Bath or Shower Room - Please phone us directly to receive 10% Discount for Senior Citizens and any Last Minutes Offers like our 4 Nights for the Price of 3 in March to May and October/November
- BACS Accepted
- Size in square meters - Room 11 is approx 3.66 x 3.66 m Room 6 is approx 3.05 x 5.18 m
Payment Methods: 5 x Doubles with En-suite Bath or Shower Room - Please phone us directly to receive 10% Discount for Senior Citizens and any Last Minute Offers like our 4 Nights for the Price of 3 in March to May and October/November
- BACS Accepted
- Size in square meters - All our doubles vary in size and shape but are generally all in excess of 13 to 17 sqm
Map & Directions
Road DirectionsFrom East Cowes ferry, second exit at roundabout onto Well Road, A3021, A3054 to Newport, A3020 to Sandown, A3020 to Shanklin.
From Fishbourne ferry, B3339 (Fishbourne lane), A3054 to Ryde (Esplanade), straight along the Esplanade to the boating lake, follow the road round to the right onto A3055 to Sandown, A3055 to Shanklin.
From Yarmouth ferry, A3054 to Newport, A3020 to Sandown, A3020 to Shanklin.
Please note Island Roads have now started a monumental 7 year plan to resurface every road/change lighting, pathways etc on the Island, so you may find some diversions in place until the year 2020.
Public Transport DirectionsFrom Ryde: please either visit the train station annexed to the Catamaran or travel on the No. 2 or 3 bus route
From West Cowes: No. 1 bus route to Newport and change to No. 2 or 3
From Yarmouth: No. 7 to Newport and change to No. 2 or 3
The No 2 bus is quicker than the No 3 bus as that goes via Ventnor.
For further bus information please contact Southern Vectis at www.islandbuses.info/ or +44 0871 200 2233 (bus times) / +44 01983 827000 (head office).
ACCESS TO PUBLIC AREAS
RESTAURANT / BREAKFAST / DINING ROOM
BEDROOMS AND BATHROOMS: GENERAL
This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.
- 4 Visit England Stars Guest Accommodation
- Visit England Awards - Annual Silver 2018
- Green Tourism Business Scheme - Green Business Gold 2014
- Green Island Awards - Green Island Award - Gold 2008
- Visit England Awards - Breakfast 2018
- Regional and Miscellaneous - TripAdvisor - Certificate of Excellence 2018
- Regional and Miscellaneous - TripAdvisor - Travellers' Choice 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous - TripAdvisor - GreenLeaders Gold Level 2014
- Tourism South East Award - 2014/15 Awards for Excellence 2014
- Regional and Miscellaneous - Ferry Inclusive Accommodation Available 2018
- Regional and Miscellaneous - TripAdvisor Green Leaders Award 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous - TripAdvisor - GreenLeaders Gold 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous - Trip Advisor Travellers’ Choice award 2019
- Regional and Miscellaneous - Tourism South East Member 2018 2018
- Visit Isle of Wight Award Green Star - Silver- Visit Isle Of Wight - 2019/20 2019
|Closed (1 Nov 2018 - 1 Mar 2019)|
|Open (2 Mar 2019 - 29 Nov 2019)|
* We are open most of the year but will obviously close out of main season if we do not have any guests.
However Groups are more than welcome out of the main season for local weddings, parties, bands & entertainers etc who are appearing locally