The Little Barn is a spacious, timber clad, self catering cottage in the south west coastal Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The cottage sits in about 2 acres of land with landscaped gardens, wild flower meadows, natural wetland, lake and streams. It is designed to be your ‘home-from-home’ and has a large kitchen/diner, living room, wet-room, 2 bedrooms and an en-suite shower room.
Converted in 2010 the holiday accommodation provides a comfortable, well equipped home sleeping between 2 and 4 people (5 possible by arrangement). It is ideal for families, couples or a small group of friends (sorry no pets). The main living areas and the large deck focus on the south east aspect, looking away from The Main Barn towards St Catherine’s Down, giving a greater sense of privacy. There is a brick built BBQ and plenty of outdoor furniture and toys for relaxing or playing outside.
1.4m from Shorwell, The Little Barn sits in the grounds of The Main Barn (a traditional 18th Century sandstone, thatched building). Peaceful and surrounded by farmland, The Little Barn is perfect for you to sit, relax and enjoy the wildlife. Guests have seen buzzards, sparrow hawks, kestrels, barn owls, woodpeckers, nuthatches, red squirrels, bats, foxes and much more. Our secluded location also benefits from a lack of light pollution, making night skies beautifully clear and great for star gazing. There is a Dobsonian telescope for you to use.
The Island has over 300 walks, suiting all ages and abilities, with over 500 miles of well-maintained footpaths. You don’t have to go far to enjoy one such walk, as the Shepherds Trail runs along Dungewood Lane! There are also many car-free cycle routes close by and fantastic beaches a mere 10 minute drive away, where you can see and take part in surfing, bodyboarding, paragliding, kite-surfing or just plain swimming!
Whilst feeling remote, the cottage is within easy reach of all the Islands' main attractions allowing you to visit historic castles, manor houses, animal sanctuaries, go fishing or sailing, play golf or visit local produce suppliers and indulge your senses the garlic farm.
Prices in 2019 vary from £442 to £1,236 per week.
- Arrival Date:
- Sat , 11th Apr 2020
- Departure Date:
- Sun , 12th Apr 2020
- No. of Nights:
Your Search for The Little Barn:
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|The Little Barn||from £442.00 to £1,236.00 per unit per week|
*Prices vary across the seasons.
During the summer months we only take 7 night bookings.
Please contact us if you want a short break.
- No dogs (Guide dogs accepted)
- Ramp / Level Access
- Wheel-in Shower
- BBQs for visitors use - Brick built BBQ next to the decking area.
- Outdoor eating area - Large deck with table, chairs and parasol.
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age)
- Children's videos/DVDs available
- Cot - Travel Cot available. Please bring your own bedding.
- Cot(s) available - Travel Cot available. Please bring your own bedding.
- Facilities for children - Baby bath, travel cot, high chair. Large selection of indoor games and outdoor play items (swingball, cricket bat, croquet set)
- Family Friendly, Children Welcome
- Highchair - 'Grow with You' wooden high chair
- Highchair(s) available - 'Grow With You' wooden high chair available.
- Beach / Coast within walking distance
- Beach/Coast 20 min walking distance
- CD player in lounge
- Children aged 12yrs+ welcome
- Children aged 5+yrs welcome
- Colour television in lounge
- DVD available
- DVD player in lounge
- Garden / Grounds for visitors use
- Garden/patio for guests' use - Large decked area with table, chairs, parasol and 2 recliners. Brick built bbq.
- LGBT Friendly
- Linen available free of charge
- Linen included - Please bring your own beach towels.
- Linen provided
- No Pets
- No smoking in dining area
- Number of Bathrooms - 2. Downstairs wet room with shower, basin and WC. Upstairs en-suite with shower, basin and WC.
- Open all year round
- Open Christmas - 7 night bookings only.
- Open New Year - 7 night bookings only
- Open on bank holidays
- Patio/Terrace for guests use
- Pre-school children welcome (0-4yrs)
- Prior Booking Recommended
- Radio in lounge
- Wireless Internet Access
- Cycle Hire - Wight Cycle Hire will deliver and collect hire bikes. To arrange this visit http://www.wightcyclehire.co.uk/
- Garden games
- Golf Course close by
- Other sporting facilities - Tandem Paragliding flights can be arranged with High Adventure. Please ask us for details.
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- Free parking
- Off-road parking
- On Site Car Parking
- On site parking
- Cash Accepted
- Cheques accepted
- Midweek breaks - Short breaks are accepted off-season. Please enquire.
- Weekend breaks - Short breaks are available off-season. Please enquire.
- Countryside Setting
- In countryside - Surrounded by farmland with views across to St Catherine's Down.
Room / Unit Features
- All rooms non-smoking
- Broadband - Rural broadband service, so not suitable for streaming films.
- CD player some rooms
- Colour Television some rooms
- Colour TV
- Digital TV
- Digital TV Some Rooms
- DVD Player some rooms
- Electricity Charges Included
- Hairdryer available
- Hairdryer in unit
- Hairdryer some rooms
- Ironing Facilities - A steam iron and ironing board are located in the utility room at the cottage.
- Ironing Facilities
- King sized bed some rooms
- No Smoking in Unit
- Radio in unit
- Radio some rooms
- Satellite TV - Sky Freesat channels.
- Satellite TV some rooms
- Sea View some rooms
- Shaver Point/s
- Showers some rooms
- Tea and coffee making in unit
- Two bedrooms
- Washing Machine
- Cyclists welcome
- Marketed as green/environmentally friendly - Wherever possible we work to reduce, reuse and recycle and encourage our guests to do the same. Our food waste (and that of our guests) is made into compost using a rodent proof Biolan composter. Garden waste is composted traditionally. Our County Council encourages residents to sort their waste so with recyclable items collected separately to general rubbish. Bins are supplied to encourage this. We have water butts where we can and the sanitary fittings have been selected to economise on water use. Loos have half flush facilities, washing machine a half load/water saving option, taps and showers have water saving aerators. We have installed a Ground Source Heat Pump to supply hot water and heating for the cottage. We have also installed solar PV panels to off-set any increased electricity usage by the GSHP and supplement the additional usage by visitors.
- Marketed to any other specialist market - Ideal for Walkers, Cyclists and Paraglider Pilots. - Paragliding / Hang gliding pilots are welcome. Richard (owner) is a paraglider pilot and is happy to provide information about the local sites. - The cottage is in an ideal location for cyclists and the Round The Island route goes past the end of our lane. We are keen cyclists ourselves so can give you ideas of where to go (from flat trails to the hilly climbs). We can also provide bike storage if required. - We are also ideal for walkers as there are many footpaths in the area and you can access the Shepherds Trail from the bottom of our drive.
- Short breaks available
- Special provisions for cyclists - Advice on where to go, help with fixing any mechanical issues and storage can be provided.
- Walkers Welcome
Travel & Trade
- Wi-fi available
- The Little Barn Property Tour
Map & Directions
Public Transport Directions
The nearest bus stop to our property is 1 mile away, therefore a car is essential unless you are seasoned cycle tourists.
For further bus information please contact Southern Vectis at www.islandbuses.info/.
If you want any other information (eg. taxi services, ferry travel and trains) please contact us.
- Visit Isle of Wight Award Green Star - Silver- Visit Isle Of Wight - 2019/20 2019
|Open New Year|
|Open (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2020)|