AboutThe tiny St Lawrence, Old Church, is probably of 13th century origin. It sits on a hillside in the Undercliff, west of Ventnor.
The church was simple rectangle until a chancel was added in 1842. The nave has a coved ceiling and windows of different periods. There is a blocked north doorway, simply moulded, within an internal frame with segmented top. The pews are still in place, as are the old hat pegs. There is a painted royal coat of arms on the west wall, dated 1663, that was repainted in 1926.
Percy Stone restored and largely refurbished Old St Lawrence in 1926-7.
200 yards (185 metres) from its successor, the Victorian parish church on the south side of the main road.
Please note that Island churches may occasionally be closed or in use for services. Many are dependent on volunteers to stay open during the day.
**Text & Photo courtesy of Albany Associates - www.albany-ballard.co.uk
Map & Directions
|Opening (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* Please note that Island churches may occasionally be closed or in use for services. Many are dependent on volunteers to stay open during the day.