The Mission is owned and curated by the Vintage Vacations team (the UK’s original Airstream holidays) and is part of the portfolio of unique places to stay known as ‘The Shacks’
This amazing ‘tin tabernacle’ was built in 1895 and has been converted to a truly unique place to stay. The Mission is situated on Blythe Shute, just outside the village of Chale on the south coast of the Isle of Wight. Being in an ‘area of outstanding natural beauty’ it is steps away from stunning coastal views and great walking country (or just a walk to the pub!)
Externally the building has been restored and remains the same as it always has, however internally there is a stunning ‘building within a building’ that gives two mezzanine bedrooms floating in the roofspace. Below is a large living space with masses of seating and a gi-normous wood burning stove. There is a luxuriously large bathroom with a sunken bath nestled into what was the baptismal font. At the back of the main hall is the kitchen and dining area that contains a beautiful ‘English Rose’ 1950’s kitchen that looks as if it has always lived there. There are of course modern amenities such as cooker, dishwasher, fridge-freezer and washing machine.
Leading from the kitchen is the ‘Sunday school’ annexe with 1 double / twin room and a bunk bedroom, plus a further WC and lovely big shower.
Outside there is a decked courtyard area with outdoor seating, a grassed area to the side and a raised ‘wilderness garden’ at the rear with a BBQ (charcoal) area, tree seat and an Indian Summer inspired little ‘sit-outerie’.
Private off-road parking, copious central heating , WiFi, TV, Blue tooth speakers and fresh white linens and towels all add comfort to your stay.
Homemade cake and fresh flowers will always welcome you.
The Mission is ten minutes walk from Scout Hall (also curated by The Shacks) making them ideal to hire in tandem for a large group.
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|The Mission||from £725.00 to £1,070.00 per unit per week|
** Sleeping eight from £125 per night
* High season weekly rate £1070
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age)
- Cot(s) available
- Facilities for children - Travel cots and high chairs available FOC on request
- Family Friendly, Children Welcome
- Highchair(s) available
- Ferry discount available
- Linen available free of charge
- Linen provided
- No Pets
- Open all year round
- Welcome single sex groups, eg stag/hen parties - Welcome at certain times of the season with pleasure
Parking & Transport
- Bus stop within walking distance - Bus stops within walking distance of some of our locations - please ask
- Car parking - All locations have car parking
- Free parking
- On Site Car Parking
- Daily rates available - We offer B&B stays in our Airstreams
- Midweek breaks - Midweek breaks available
- Countryside Setting
Room / Unit Features
- All rooms non-smoking
- Hairdryer all rooms
- Radio in unit
- Tea and coffee making all rooms
- Telephone in unit - with the exception of Airstreams and The Shack
- Telephone some rooms
- Cyclists welcome
- Short breaks available
- Walkers Welcome
Map & Directions
From East Cowes ferry, second exit at roundabout onto Well Road, A3021, A3054 to Newport, town centre, Pyle Street, B3323 to Shorwell, B3399 to Chale.
From Fishbourne ferry, B3339 (Fishbourne lane), A3054 to Newport, town centre, Pyle Street, B3323 to Shorwell, B3399 to Chale.
From Yarmouth ferry, A3054 to Totland, A3055 to Freshwater, A3055 to Chale.
Public Transport Directions
For further bus information please contact Southern Vectis at www.islandbuses.info/ or +44 01983 827000 (head office).
- Regional and Miscellaneous - Ferry Discount Available 2020
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2021
|Open (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|