|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
* Gift Aid on Entry (GAOE) tickets Include a voluntary 10% donation; visitors can, however, choose to pay the standard admission prices which are displayed at the property and at www.nationaltrust.org.uk
Admission to the Needles New Battery is free.
Group visits and school visits available – please contact property for details
AboutNeedles Old Battery:
* Spectacularly sited cliff top fort with the best views of The Needles Rocks.
* Regularly updated exhibitions and displays.
* Intriguing history brought to life comic-book style.
* Memorabilia from World War II.
* Underground tunnel with a unique bird's eye view of The Needles.
* Tearoom in old look-out tower with dramatic views.
* Children's activity pack free to borrow: find out what it was like to be a soldier on watch.
* Children’s soldier and inspector trails: free trail sheets for different ages.
* Miles of wonderful cliff top walks stretching from the Needles Headland to Freshwater Bay.
* National Trust Members - FREE
*In the words of one visitor: 'we came for the views, but found so much more.'
Needles Old Battery
Open daily 14 March 2015 to 1 November 2015 10.30am - 5pm (last admission 4.30pm)
Closes dusk if earlier
PRICES: See opposite
Property closes in high winds; please phone on day of visit to check.
Needles New Battery:
*The underground rooms of the New Battery situated next to the bus turning point contain an exhibition about the secret rocket testing carried out on the site in the 1950s and 60s.
* Refreshment kiosk serving drinks, ice cream and snacks.
Open daily 14 March 2015 to 1 November 2015.
Property closes in high winds please phone on day of visit to check.
PRICES: Admission to the Needles New Battery is free.
EDUCATIONAL GROUPS - Group visits and school visits available. For more information and to book your visit please call 01983 754772 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note there is no vehicular access to the Needles headland or Batteries. For disabled access please phone 01983 754772 or email email@example.com.
Reduced fare available to National Trust members on Needles Tour Bus (run by Southern Vectis). Please ask driver for details.
- Countryside Setting
- No Smoking Attraction
- Disabled Parking - There is no vehicular access to the Needles headland. Limited disabled parking available. Please phone property to arrange.
- Disabled persons toilet
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Induction Loop System
Children & Infants
- Babes in Arms
- Baby changing
- Children’s packs
- Children's Meals
- Family Friendly, Children Welcome
- Highchair(s) available
- Outdoor eating area
- Picnic Site
- Refreshments Available
- Groups Accepted
- Dogs admitted on a lead
- Dogs welcome - Dogs on leads welcome everywhere except in the tearoom.
- Gift shop
- Groups by arrangement
- Guided tours by arrangement
- Open on bank holidays
- Educational Groups
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted - Educational tours should be prebooked.
- Guided Tours Available for Groups - Tours must be prebooked.
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
Map & Directions
From East Cowes ferry, second exit at roundabout onto Well Road, A3021, A3054 to Newport, town centre, Pyle Street, B3323 to Carisbrooke, B3401, B3399 to Freshwater, A3055 to Alum Bay.
From Fishbourne ferry, B3339 (Fishbourne lane), A3054 to Newport, town centre, Pyle Street, B3323 to Carisbrooke, B3401, B3399 to Freshwater, A3055 to Alum Bay.
From Yarmouth ferry, A3054 to Alum Bay.
Please note: access from Alum Bay is on foot only only approx ¾ mile along a well surfaced path or by Needles Tour bus. No vehicle access to site - for disabled access arrangements please phone 01983 754772 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Parking at Alum Bay is not National Trust.
Minimum charge £4
Public Transport Directions
From West Cowes Red Jet Hi-speed ferry: No 1 bus route to Newport and change to No 7 to Alum Bay.
From Ryde Catamaran/Hovertravel: No. 9 bus route to Newport and change to No 7 to Alum Bay.
From Yarmouth ferry: No. 7 bus route to Alum Bay.
For further bus information please contact Southern Vectis at www.islandbuses.info/ or +44 0871 200 2233 (bus times) / +44 01983 827000 (head office). Also Needles Tour Bus from Yarmouth or Alum Bay.
- Green Island Awards - Green Island Award - Gold 2008
|Tea Room (7 Nov 2015 - 13 Dec 2015)|
* Last entry 4.30pm. New Battery may open school holidays and other days when possible. Please note the property may have to close in high winds. Please phone to check (01983) 754772.