Guest House situated in Freshwater Bay, Isle of Wight with prices from £38 per person per night, breakfast included. Reductions for children. Please email or phone for availability and prices.
In the beautiful West Wight, Ruskin Lodge is often described by guests as having a warm, relaxed and friendly feel. Visitors are provided with keys to allow free access throughout the day.
All rooms are large, light and airy and great care has been taken to retain the period feel of this late Victorian home, with features such as fireplaces retained where possible.
Relax in the cosy conservatory or on the balcony, with its unobstructed panoramic views across the 1970 Isle of Wight Pop Festival site, the Downs and the western end of the Island.
The house built and owned by a Dr Dabbs who was the family Doctor for the Tennyson family, a friend of Hallam Tennyson and was present and administered to Tennyson in his final days and hours. His wife Nina Laura Peets may have had connections with the Reverend Dodgson (Lewis Carroll). It is said he dedicated a book to her when she was a child.
The Poet Laureate Alfred Lord Tennyson lived at nearby Farringford House which he described as “Far from noise and smoke of town...close to the ridge of a noble down”. Ruskin Lodge is ideally situated, (at ten minutes walk away) for people wishing to visit this newly restored attraction. For more information about Farringford House please click on the following link - https://farringford.co.uk/
*Both private bathroom and en-suite available.
*Bedrooms are equipped with high quality, pocket sprung mattresses.
* Situated in a quiet, residential location.
*Sole Guests - If your party contains four or more adults, you may take advantage of our "Sole Guests" status. Please enquire for details.
*A fine Broadwood Grand piano is available for use upon request
*10 inch telescope for supervised night sky viewing, when conditions and equipment permit.
*Electric Car charging Point
* Single person supplement required, please contact establishment for details.
- Arrival Date:
- Tues , 26th Sept 2017
- Departure Date:
- Wed , 27th Sept 2017
- No. of Nights:
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good0
- jcy500Trip Type:FamilyLovely stay in FreshwaterThursday, 8th June 2017My daughter and I stayed at the Ruskin Lodge for five nights. Simon and Amanda were wonderful hosts. The accommodations were excellent - the rooms were furnished in a Victorian mode, the beds very... Read full review
- niall mDerby, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelWonderful B&BFriday, 19th August 2016Delightful hosts, most welcoming, like a home from home. Comfy bed, relaxing ambience. Full marks for the breakfast. If you want to wind down and relax I highly recommend Ruskin Lodge. I could also... Read full review
- janewraighteLlantwit Major, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyExcellent B+BTuesday, 2nd August 2016Great hosts, beautiful house and fabulous breakfast. Briliant value for money. Well kept family home, clean and tasteful. Had everything we needed for a comfortable nights stay whilst hiking the... Read full review
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Double/Twin Room||from £76.00 to £88.00 per room per night (breakfast included)|
|Family Room||from £90.00 to £110.00 per room per night (breakfast included)|
|Triple Room||from £90.00 to £105.00 per room per night (breakfast included)|
*Above prices are a guide only.
Both private bathroom and en-suite available.
**Single person supplement required, please contact establishment for details.
Children & Infants
- Family Friendly, Children Welcome - Families welcome, special rates for children under 14 years.
Parking & Transport
- Car parking - Off Street Parking available - at customer's own risk.
- Secure cycle parking
Room / Unit Features
- Digital TV All Rooms
- Drying facilities - Drying room for wet clothes and equipment.
- Tea & coffee making facilities in all bedrooms
- Pets accepted by arrangement
- Real log/coal fires
- Cyclists welcome
- Walkers Welcome
Map & Directions
Road DirectionsFrom East Cowes ferry, second exit at roundabout onto Well Road, A3021, A3054 to Newport, A3054 to Yarmouth, A3054 to Totland, A3055 to Freshwater.
From Fishbourne ferry, B3339 (Fishbourne lane), A3054 to Newport, A3054 to Yarmouth, A3054 to Totland, A3055 to Freshwater.
From Yarmouth ferry, A3054 to Totland, A3055 to Freshwater.
Public Transport DirectionsFrom West Cowes Red Jet Hi-speed ferry: No. 1 bus route to Newport and change to No. 7 to Freshwater.
From Ryde Catamaran/Hovertravel: No. 9 bus route to Newport and change to No. 7 to Freshwater.
From Yarmouth ferry: No. 7 to Freshwater.
For further bus information please contact Southern Vectis at www.islandbuses.info/ or +44 0871 200 2233 (bus times) / +44 01983 827000 (head office).
|Opening (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|